Is this bumblefoot? What’s the best treatment for my duck?

ducknugget

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2021
I apologize for the low quality image, it’s the best one I have at the moment.

0E1DFF6F-C945-485E-AB97-188DC4B6C267.jpeg

Earlier today I’ve noticed my duck was limping and I pick her up to check what was going on and I founded what looked like a to be large blackhead(?) on the bottom of her left foot. Compared to other images on the internet it looks like it might be a bumblefoot, but I’m not entirely sure. If anyone can identify what this is, what would be the best treatment for her foot? Duck veterinarians are not easy to access for us, and everyone in the household has school/class/work they need to attend so it would be preferable for home remedies if possible. Thank you in advance.

It's hard to tell. But, the best thing would be to soak in warm Epsom salt water. At least 30 min for a few days and then check on it. If the scab is easy to peel off, then add neosporin and wrap or keep on deep clean beeding so that it won't be on a hard surface.
If it is bumblefoot, you've caught it early enough that the treatment won't be too invasive.

Yes, looks like bumblefoot. Echo what was said above. 30 minutes might be hard to soak depending on how calm your duck is. I usually do 10 minutes or so, then work on the scab. Neosporin, gauze pad, and wrap with vet wrap. Don't let her swim for a couple days until it's healed over. You may have to do this more than once - there are many threads here on bumblefoot you can look to to find more information. Ha, I know because I've read almost all of them. Hopefully this will be a quick case for you.

Thank you for all of these helpful responses! We plan on completely removing the scab(s) tomorrow or the day after. Follow up question about Neosporin; would iodine be an okay alternative since we don’t have any neosporin? Iodine works similarly for humans, but I’m not sure if it has the same effect on ducks.

Thank you for all of these helpful responses! We plan on completely removing the scab(s) tomorrow or the day after. Follow up question about Neosporin; would iodine be an okay alternative since we don’t have any neosporin? Iodine works similarly for humans, but I’m not sure if it has the same effect on ducks.
You can use iodine and it is often recommended in the epsom salt bath. However, I would still recommend the Neosporin. Neosporin is going to hold the antibiotic on the tissue better, increasing the effectiveness of it. It also moisturizes the tissue and make it easier to remove scabs and help prevents the scab from adhering on the vet wrap. If you just do iodine I would coat it with vasaline to help seal it in.

Back
Top Bottom