Is this bumblefoot? What to do, hen limps very badly!

Pics
Update: I checked their feets, seems like the "wound" from scab (scab wasn't kernel-like, but flat) has healed. I removed bandages, gave them vit. D. The sitting-egg hen is in the coop, just like yesterday and doesn't limp. The limping hen still limps, but she's in the basement still. I'm starting to suspect the joint/bone injury... I cleaned her poops near her food and water and gave her cauliflower leaves :) I hope she'll start recovering her leg soon. No egg today from limping one.

Update: I checked their feets, seems like the "wound" from scab (scab wasn't kernel-like, but flat) has healed. I removed bandages, gave them vit. D. The sitting-egg hen is in the coop, just like yesterday and doesn't limp. The limping hen still limps, but she's in the basement still. I'm starting to suspect the joint/bone injury... I cleaned her poops near her food and water and gave her cauliflower leaves :) I hope she'll start recovering her leg soon. No egg today from limping one.
Thanks for the updates, if the limping hen sprained something, it can take weeks to heal. Keep her as immobile as possible so she can allow healing.

Thanks for the updates, if the limping hen sprained something, it can take weeks to heal. Keep her as immobile as possible so she can allow healing.
Well, i'm not worried about her being pecked and bullied when she returns to the coop. Yesterday i let her to chickens for a moment to socialize and she was fighting with 2 hens like 2 roosters. She didn't run away. Today i let her too. And to my surprise, she was the one that start fighting and pecks other hens! When walking she uses her whole limping leg now, so i guess it's healing. I'm giving her 500 IU of vitamin d everyday. The one that was sitting acts normally.

Well, i'm not worried about her being pecked and bullied when she returns to the coop. Yesterday i let her to chickens for a moment to socialize and she was fighting with 2 hens like 2 roosters. She didn't run away. Today i let her too. And to my surprise, she was the one that start fighting and pecks other hens! When walking she uses her whole limping leg now, so i guess it's healing. I'm giving her 500 IU of vitamin d everyday. The one that was sitting acts normally.
She is top bird right? They all want her position, she will no doubt set them all straight. :D Glad she is doing better!

She is top bird right? They all want her position, she will no doubt set them all straight. :D Glad she is doing better!
My other hens that were limping were getting better fast too, but then died. They didn't limp thad badly though, so i hope its "just" an injury. I did never see her bullying other hens, so im shocked. There is only one hen she's afraid of.

Idk if im right, but i think her comb starts to flop over more. She's always had bigger, and a bit flopped comb but now it looks like it's flopped a bit more. Can it be because of warm of basement? (im writing this in the evening, so i'll reply when its morning at mine timeline) She's been outside yesterday and today too, and the bullies were locked up not to provocate her.

Idk if im right, but i think her comb starts to flop over more. She's always had bigger, and a bit flopped comb but now it looks like it's flopped a bit more. Can it be because of warm of basement? (im writing this in the evening, so i'll reply when its morning at mine timeline) She's been outside yesterday and today too, and the bullies were locked up not to provocate her.
Her walking seems to be better each day a bit.

@SulkyBantam @TwoCrows and once again the egg one is limping and sitting... I've put her in the basement again with nesting box, food, water and damp cloth to increase moisture in air. Any clue? She's been standing with her tail down but not like penguin, sometimes sat down, and limped when outside.

Back
Top Bottom