Is this Bumblefoot?

Great advice from everyone here. It looks a couple toenails could use trimming too. Dog toenail clippers work, just dont cut into the quick or it'll bleed.
thclip.jpg

Does she need more frequent pedicures, including feather trimming, toenail trims, and foot bathing, to keep her chubby skin folds free of friction causing substances? She’ll likely need frequent foot inspections.
I think this can also be said for my Doris she is actually missing a toe (was like it when I bought her) - I was totally inexperianced and bought my girls in the pouring rain and didn't check for SLM and didn't work out what it was for ages after I got them. Now all my flock has SLM and I'm trying to deal with that. Can you expand a bitmore on the 'feather trimming' do you mean her foot feathers? If so how do you do this? How short do you go? I'm guessing it doesn't hurt to be cut but isn't it annoying having spikey cut bits on thier feet? I was tempted to have a chop on my Faverolles feet yesterday but wasn't brave enough!

I think this can also be said for my Doris she is actually missing a toe (was like it when I bought her) - I was totally inexperianced and bought my girls in the pouring rain and didn't check for SLM and didn't work out what it was for ages after I got them. Now all my flock has SLM and I'm trying to deal with that. Can you expand a bitmore on the 'feather trimming' do you mean her foot feathers? If so how do you do this? How short do you go? I'm guessing it doesn't hurt to be cut but isn't it annoying having spikey cut bits on thier feet? I was tempted to have a chop on my Faverolles feet yesterday but wasn't brave enough!
Because of the risk of cutting blood feathers I’d only trim unreasonably long foot feathers, individually, and after careful inspection.

Keeping their feet clean should help a lot.

More importantly, look for ways to improve their living area.
You might need to work out a drainage issue or change your substrate.

Sometimes adding sand, mulch, wood chips or another natural material helps.

Great advice! This is super helpful! She does roost at night- about 1.5inches off the ground (all my silkies just lift their foot up and stand on the perch) i have no idea what the size is at the moment as it is already 9pm will measure in the morning and let you know.

She came to live with me early December 2018 and i havent got a clue as to how to trim her nails and that i have to trim her feathers. Thank you for sharing the link. I will read it ASAP.

Not sure if this information will be useful- she free ranges in my backyard from 6am to 6pm everyday.

Good job for spotting it quickly. She’s so cute!

You’ve received great advice from everyone here.
One thing I noticed though is that the spot on both feet where the bumblefoot is /is trying to form, seems to correspond exactly to where that little fat roll from her pinkie toe rubs when her toes close. This has the potential to become a chronic problem for this bird.
So let’s examine some of the reasons why that happens.

Does she roost at night?
What size and shape is the roost? Or does she sleep in a nest or on the floor?

Does she need more frequent pedicures, including feather trimming, toenail trims, and foot bathing, to keep her chubby skin folds free of friction causing substances? She’ll likely need frequent foot inspections.

She free ranges from 6am-6pm in our backyard. I water the backyard around 7am but always make sure half of the lawn is not wet and doing the other half when the first half dried up. She loves standing next to me while i do that and would be walking on wet grass everyday for about half an hour. Could this be the cause?

More importantly, look for ways to improve their living area.
You might need to work out a drainage issue or change your substrate.

Because of the risk of cutting blood feathers I’d only trim unreasonably long foot feathers, individually, and after careful inspection.

Keeping their feet clean should help a lot.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes thier feet aren't the cleanest in the winter!
Sometimes adding sand, mulch, wood chips or another natural material helps.
I do need to do another dump of leaves /woodchip in thier run and need to sort out some more cover as well - although they spend much of the day in the garden. Also the 2 silkies have recently started hanging out on thier own in the coop, I'm trying to work out why.

Back
Top Bottom