Is this Bumblefoot?

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all!
While checking on the chicks this evening, I found some strange substance on their toes. At first, I thought it was hardened droppings. It was odd because it was only on the toenails. I felt awful because in an attempt to pull what I thought was droppings off, I think I pulled a chick’s toenail. :barnie
When I thought it could be bumblefoot, I washed the brooder box (plastic bin 🙃) but nothing seemed off. It rinsed easily, nothing runny, no smell. The straw and shavings were pretty clean. I replaced it anyway.
We soaked all four chick’s feet in warm water with epsom salt. We put tea tree oil on their feet, and since some of them looked off I put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. They drank most of it and are acting alert and normal now.
Here’s some pictures of the chick who had it worst after we soaked her feet.
D9AC8A18-5CF2-46F7-882E-D82315CC3510.jpeg
F23440E7-4E6F-470A-A8EA-E25684137CE3.jpeg
Am I missing anything? I’ve only ever had a case of Bumblefoot on a 7-8 year old hen who didn’t make it (she may have had other problems) and I really don’t want to lose these chicks. Any criticism is welcomed as well as any advice. Sorry for the length.
Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I'm so glad it's not Bumblefoot. We will continue to soak their feet in water and gently scrub their feet to get it off.
Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom