Is this bumblefoot?

noodledog

Songster
Jan 15, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I was checking my ducks' feet and noticed one had a few small scabs. There are two more closer to the front of the foot, they look the same besides being smaller. Sorry for the bad pic, it's hard to hold them still - I haven't seen bumblefoot look like this before but thought I'd ask anyways. The other 3 are fine and don't have anything on their feet, just this one.

Does this look like bumble or just scabs?

Attachments

• IMG_5960.JPG
    IMG_5960.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 10
Its not bad yet, just soak the foot to soften the scab, pull the scab off, clean out any puss if you find it, then use some iodine or betadine or vetracin, rubbing alcohol or peroxide in a pinch. Let the antiseptic work for 5 to 10 minuets. Then you could wrap the foot with gauze and vet wrap but you have to keep the bandage from getting wet. I have had good luck not bandaging, which is a trick i got from a vet buddy.

Bandaging the foot depends a lot on the progression of the Bumblefoot, and the number of bacteria present in whatever the duck is being housed on/in. In my opinion, if the Bumble is mild you could probably get away without bandaging the duck, but the duck must be kept in a somewhat sterilized environment since the foot will be prone to reinfection after surgery.

Thank you all for the help! I have been soaking her foot once a day for about two days now and was going to remove the scab today - when I got to doing that It didn't look like there was a scab at first but it seems like it's under what looks like a crack in the skin (which is what is seen in the pictures), tried to remove it but it didn't seem loose enough yet and I was afraid of hurting her. Going to soak it a couple more times tomorrow then try again.

One more question - I have 2.5% iodine tincture - will this work, and do I apply it directly or mixed with something like water?

Back
Top Bottom