Is this bumblefoot?

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
First time owning chickens. My older ones are around 27 weeks old. Went to check them over and saw this on one of my EEs. Shes a big girl so not sure if that makes a difference. If it is bumblefoot how do I treat it? I've read to soak in order to remove scab, put on neosporin without pain relief, and wrap? Is that correct?

Attachments

• 20200920_184232.jpg
    20200920_184232.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 73
Yup, that's bumblefoot. Good article on it and treatment options here.

It can take a while to heal because it heals from the inside out. It'll require multiple soaks and daily wrap changes. Through the soaks and the Neo, the scab will naturally loosen and then you can try to remove it and the attached core. The core is the hardened infection.

Some people use antibiotics - like Baytril or Clavamox - and an anti-inflammatory - like Metacam. But soaking and wrapping should take care of it so just be patient. It's a gnarly infection.

Yup, that's bumblefoot. Good article on it and treatment options here.

It can take a while to heal because it heals from the inside out. It'll require multiple soaks and daily wrap changes. Through the soaks and the Neo, the scab will naturally loosen and then you can try to remove it and the attached core. The core is the hardened infection.

Some people use antibiotics - like Baytril or Clavamox - and an anti-inflammatory - like Metacam. But soaking and wrapping should take care of it so just be patient. It's a gnarly infection.
So I dont pull the scab off after the soak? The videos i watched said to soak it for 15-20 minutes then pull the scab off. I dont want to make it worse.

Also should I separate her or just watch to be sure the others arent pecking at her foot?

Correct. Do not mess with the scab until it is ready to come out naturally. Pulling the scab before it's ready could result in the core staying in the foot. If you don't get all of the core, the infection will reoccur.

If the wrapping is good and the weather isn't too crummy - damp, wet - she can go back outside with her flock. Do keep an eye on her to make sure she's not getting picked on. Being away from her flock can be stressful and the impedes the healing process.

Correct. Do not mess with the scab until it is ready to come out naturally. Pulling the scab before it's ready could result in the core staying in the foot. If you don't get all of the core, the infection will reoccur.

If the wrapping is good and the weather isn't too crummy - damp, wet - she can go back outside with her flock. Do keep an eye on her to make sure she's not getting picked on. Being away from her flock can be stressful and the impedes the healing process.
We're in west texas so still pretty dry. Would this cause her to start sleeping on the poop boards instead of roosting? I noticed it the other night which is why I was sure to check her foot

It can be an uncomfortable condition - much like a plantar's wart in a person. If the roosts are high, it can hurt getting up and down. If it's round, it may hurt her toes, given where the scab is located.

If possible, try to keep her off the poop board or clean it more frequently. Standing in it could soak through her bandage and worsen the infection.

It's good that you checked her foot. Have you checked your other chickens for it?

I have a roo with chronic bumblefoot (heavy breed meets rocky soil/poorly cleaned up construction tear-down site) and it is no fun. It took five or six weeks, two vet visits, a month in the house, daily antibiotics, pain meds, foot soaks and flushing/draining to clear up. I suspect he has arthritis in his foot now.

It can be an uncomfortable condition - much like a plantar's wart in a person. If the roosts are high, it can hurt getting up and down. If it's round, it may hurt her toes, given where the scab is located.

If possible, try to keep her off the poop board or clean it more frequently. Standing in it could soak through her bandage and worsen the infection.

It's good that you checked her foot. Have you checked your other chickens for it?

I have a roo with chronic bumblefoot (heavy breed meets rocky soil/poorly cleaned up construction tear-down site) and it is no fun. It took five or six weeks, two vet visits, a month in the house, daily antibiotics, pain meds, foot soaks and flushing/draining to clear up. I suspect he has arthritis in his foot now.
I clean the poop boards every morning so they are clean when they go in at night. My other EE has a small one so I'm treating her as well. The 5 production blues and 4 sexlinks are clear. I have them on 2x4s with the wide side up for the roost. Shes also not standing on the poop boards, shes laying on them. I'm put her on the roost a few times but I dont know if she moves back down in the night. I plan on cleaning it twice a day, first thing in the morning in case she stands in poo and then before bed so its clean for the night.

Back
Top Bottom