Is this bumblefoot?

i appreciate you guys looking out about the tea tree issue. theres actually a thread here on backyardchickens titled "just another tea tree thread" that is really interesting, its from several perspectives and experiences.. i suppose due to the title there are several debates about the issue. the thread i mentioned discusses several applications of tea tree that i would never feel safe using! (undiluted in an open wound/gash.. albeit as a last resort... still makes me cringe at the thought) i assume some birds are more sensitive than others. breathing the oil in the air is a good point that i have had thoughts about in the past... considering the sensitive respiratory systems of birds and how oxygen goes into their very bones! though ive never seen ill effect in my very loved and cared for flock. technically the tea tree application ive used is diluted into the clay-silver-honey-crypto paste.. that way seems to be safe in my experience... i think the clay helps contain alot of the volatile oil from getting into the air.. though the whole mix (including oil diouted into the mix) certainly has direct skin contact.. im sure the mix without tea tree i still very helpful for those who want to use an abundance of caution.. i love the soaking totes idea by the way!!
This makes sense, I'd be interested to see that thread. Thank you for this information, and the time you put into writing your posts. :)

I found a simple, effective and fast remedy for bumblefoot by using Blue Kote. I got it at a feed supply store but you can easily order it on Amazon as well. I’ve tried lots of other products and remedies but this works the BEST by far:

Soak your bird’s tootsies in a warm epsom salt bath for 20-30 min and then dry off well. Dip the tip of a clean q-tip into the bottle of Blue Kote (be very careful- it stains) and dab it just on the bumble (including any other area the infection spread to- like in the case with your bird). Dab several times (without re-dipping into the bottle) to ensure that the blue liquid soaks in well. Wait about 5 minutes to let it completely air dry and then dip the other side of the q-tip (clean end) for a second application. It’s important to let the product soak into the wound to address the infection. Let it air dry again. After it is completely dry, you’re done! No invasive incisions or bandages. I rub a little Vaseline on the legs to moisturize them because the epsom salt is drying. I repeat this entire treatment once a day, at the end of the day (just prior to roosting) until it’s totally healed.

The last time I did this on a friend’s bird, it healed in just 4-5 days! Of course it depends on how bad your bird’s infection is. But all in all, it’s an easy, non invasive way to heal bumblefoot. 😁👍🏼
So you didn’t pull away or extract anything with this method?

Thank you everyone for your time and advice! Sometimes I just wish someone were standing behind me! There are probably 101 ways to get this done, but nothing compares to getting direct advice from people, especially in my first experience! Thank you!

So you didn’t pull away or extract anything with this method?

Correct, I don’t dig anything out. The Blu Kote kills the infection deep inside the foot and the bumble plug/scab acts as a bandaid. New tissue will grow underneath it as it heals and the dried up bumble plug/scab will fall off on its own. You can assist with your fingernail at that point, if it’s close to falling off, but if it’s still attached it’s not ready. When I do this treatment daily, just before their bedtime, it allows the bumble to get thoroughly clean and soft with the epsom salt soak and perfectly ready to absorb the Blue Kote liquid which will kill it and dry it out. Afterwards, I put the chicken directly on the roost to go to sleep so the feet can remain clean and dry throughout the entire night. :)

@Wyorp Rock has an awesome article explaining how to non-invasively extract the "plug" or dead tissue without a scalpel and without blood. Removing the tissue really helps the healing process. I've tried treating bumbles without removal, it still works, but requires soaking often and a much longer recovery. You got this!
Thank you. ☺️— I am having a hard time find wyorp’s article—would you mind linking it if you can? I always see them giving sound advice.

Correct, I don’t dig anything out. The Blu Kote kills the infection deep inside the foot and the bumble plug/scab acts as a bandaid. New tissue will grow underneath it as it heals and the dried up bumble plug/scab will fall off on its own. You can assist with your fingernail at that point, if it’s close to falling off, but if it’s still attached it’s not ready. When I do this treatment daily, just before their bedtime, it allows the bumble to get thoroughly clean and soft with the epsom salt soak and perfectly ready to absorb the Blue Kote liquid which will kill it and dry it out. Afterwards, I put the chicken directly on the roost to go to sleep so the feet can remain clean and dry throughout the entire night. :)
I will give her a good coat of vaseline to keep her little legs from getting dry! I am going to give her another good long soak tonight and see how easily the plug is removed. If it seems like she is too stressed or it will be a blood batch, I might try the blue koat method—she is also molting right now, so I want to stress her as little as possible—even if it might take a little longer. I have a few things on hand to use—blue koat, argile clay, vetericyn, triple antibiotic cream, tea tree oiL, and an exacto knife. I’m gonna play it a bit by ear! But I feel I have options! Thank you!

I will give her a good coat of vaseline to keep her little legs from getting dry! I am going to give her another good long soak tonight and see how easily the plug is removed. If it seems like she is too stressed or it will be a blood batch, I might try the blue koat method—she is also molting right now, so I want to stress her as little as possible—even if it might take a little longer. I have a few things on hand to use—blue koat, argile clay, vetericyn, triple antibiotic cream, tea tree oiL, and an exacto knife. I’m gonna play it a bit by ear! But I feel I have options! Thank you!
Here you go! This is a thread that Wyorp rock posted the article in. Try not to use the exact knife, if she bleeds, it opens the wound up for secondary infection which you want to avoid. The article is very helpful, I used that method to treat the bumble foot showed in the photos in my thread. Hope this helps!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/trying-to-help-a-friends-flock.1489620/

Back
Top Bottom