Is this bumblefoot?

I will give her a good coat of vaseline to keep her little legs from getting dry! I am going to give her another good long soak tonight and see how easily the plug is removed. If it seems like she is too stressed or it will be a blood batch, I might try the blue koat method—she is also molting right now, so I want to stress her as little as possible—even if it might take a little longer. I have a few things on hand to use—blue koat, argile clay, vetericyn, triple antibiotic cream, tea tree oiL, and an exacto knife. I’m gonna play it a bit by ear! But I feel I have options! Thank you!
You’re very welcome. And yes, I’m glad to hear that you plan on moisturizing her legs with Vaseline after the soaks because while the epsom salt is great for cleaning and drawing out the infection, it is also very drying on their legs. And if she’s molting, their feathers tend to be quite sensitive from what I understand, which can cause stress/pain when you touch and hold them. Just be aware of that and handle her carefully.

There are many, MANY ways that folks attempt to tackle bumblefoot. Some are more invasive than others. I’ve researched this topic extensively in an effort to explore all of the options. I’ve tried many of them. I initially thought the only way to properly get rid of bumblefoot was to remove the bumble/infection which involved more invasive measures such as digging it out. But I found it strange that those same individuals reported that the infection returned after all of the bloody digging they did. I was actually surprised when the treatment I explained to you worked so much better than any of the other methods. I share this method with you (and others reading this) only because it was very effective for me and it was a fairly simple process. And it never came back. 😉👌🏼

Whatever you decide to do, please keep us posted! And good luck with helping your sweet girl. 😊💕

Just an update! We used a mixture of methods.
The weather was really rainy for a couple of days, so I wanted to avoid bandages at first.

We started by soaking her feet and spraying them with blue kote for the first 2 days. The bumbles started to pull away from the edges but I didn’t pull at them.

On the third day the weather cleared up. I pulled bumbles out of both of her feet. One was very superficial. The other was pretty deep and there was a little blood. She was very calm!

I applied triple antibiotic cream to the wounds and cleaned with iodine and a shot of blue kote.

I’ve changed the bandages once and her feet are doing really well. One is pretty much healed, but I rebandaged it.

Just an update! We used a mixture of methods.
The weather was really rainy for a couple of days, so I wanted to avoid bandages at first.

We started by soaking her feet and spraying them with blue kote for the first 2 days. The bumbles started to pull away from the edges but I didn’t pull at them.

On the third day the weather cleared up. I pulled bumbles out of both of her feet. One was very superficial. The other was pretty deep and there was a little blood. She was very calm!

I applied triple antibiotic cream to the wounds and cleaned with iodine and a shot of blue kote.

I’ve changed the bandages once and her feet are doing really well. One is pretty much healed, but I rebandaged it.
Thats so awesome! I'm trusting to know that Blue Kote worked so well. Congrats on her recovery.

Back
Top Bottom