Is this bumblefoot?

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
I’m a brand new chick mom. I have 4 barred rock pullets that are seven weeks old. They’ve been in their coop 1 week. Noticed yesterday one has a bump on her foot but I’m not seeing any other swelling. I wiped it off with rubbing alcohol today and noticed there is a little redness and a slight scab. Apologies that the pictures aren’t better. It was hard to hold her and take pictures.
If it is, what do you recommend I do? I’m worried and feel like an awful momma. :(
IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2051.jpeg
    IMG_2051.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 4
Probably from an injury but hard to really see it. When you can, get someone to snap a few photos of the foot while you hold her. Chicks are sooo squirmy, it's hard to get anything in focus.
She is a cutie!

Bumblefoot is technically infection of the foot, so I suppose you could call it that.

I'd would try soaking the foot in a warm epsom salts bath, let it dry, then apply a VERY thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the bumble/wound, then wrap it. Do this daily for a few days and see how it looks.
I can't see it well enough to make any recommendations that the wound needs to be sliced open, so take a non surgical approach for a few days and see if it starts to heal or not.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom