Is this bumblefoot?

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
I got this girl today and found this on the bottom of both feet. They do not seem to hurt her. The foot seems to be a little swollen with a black 'scab'. We pulled off one of the 'scabs' to find a large open 'crater' with fresh pink skin inside. If this is in fact bumblefoot, what should I do from here? I would imagine keep clean but what else? How long does it take to heal up? Is anyone else at risk?

MAcochinsbumblefoot005.jpg

okay... I am have a sick bird so I bought this book today. It's called The Chicken Health Handbook.by Gail Damerow

It says "abcess of dark black scab on bottom of foot"
Mortality up to 50% if not treated, Caused by a staphylococcus areus bacteria, present were ever chicken are.

Book says difficult to cure.....stay tuned I'm going to type more...

Last edited:
Bumblefoot- difficult to cure; inject swollen area with 1/2 cc penicillin/streptomycin (Combiotic); if abscess is large, wash foot, cut open abscess, squeeze out cheesy core rinse well with hydrogen peroxide Pack with Neopsporin, wrap foot with gauze bandage or strip of clean cloth, and tape; confine bird on deep litter and dress foot every 2 or 3 days.

(I read that you shouldn't use hydrogen Peroxided on raw skin so be carefull with this step)

So thats what this book says.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but is this really bumblefoot that my girl has? When the scab was taken off, there was no pus or infection. It was just nice and pink. The lady I got them from said that it was something that all large fowl gets. But I have never seen it before.

Yes, it is bumblefoot. Sometimes, if it has healed inside, the scab will still be there since dirt will stick to anything that isn't smooth, so it will only be on the surface. Also, the infection is usually BELOW the surface and you dont see it till you cut into the hole, well around the outside edges like you were going to remove a core of a whole apple. Pus solidifies in a wound like that and sometimes there is liquid underneath. I have a girl with perpetual bumblefoot-her feet are oddly shaped and she's quite heavy, a bad combination. I may one day have to cull her for that (and I mean euthanize) since it can go systemic. It's a rough thing to treat.

Hi my book also says
"symptoms- in maturing birds, especially in males of heavy breeds; lameness, reluctance to walk, inflamed foot (one or both), hot, hard, swollen, or pus-filled abscess or dark black scab on bottom of foot, resting on hocks; sometimes sores appear on hocks and bottoms of toes.

Transmission- contaminated hatching eggs; bacteria enters foot through injury caused by splinter, sharp roosts, jumping from roost on to hard or rocky ground, housing on wire, irritation due to improper litter management.

Prevention- practice good sanitation; provide deep, dry litter that does not pack; avoid high perches; round off edges of perch and sand off splinters; feed vitamin supplement (especially vitamin A); do not breed susceptible chickens to avoid getting more of the same."
Hope your support care and TLC heals her.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Prevention- practice good sanitation; provide deep, dry litter that does not pack; avoid high perches; round off edges of perch and sand off splinters; feed vitamin supplement (especially vitamin A); do not breed susceptible chickens to avoid getting more of the same."

And forget all that if they freerange. Well, dont forget it, but all your padding and sanding, etc, inside the coop and pen wont stop bumblefoot if you have sharp rocks and woodpiles and briars and they freerange.

I dont get the contaminated hatching eggs as a means of transmission, unless they mean a broody's scraped foot touches a dirty egg, LOL. That makes no sense.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom