is this called broody?

cptbahama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
augusta, georgia
I have a buff orpington in my flock of 9 hens, all around 7 months old. the last week or so she just sits in the nest box. she doesn't necessarily sit on an egg though. there are two nest boxes and she is always on the one so the rest of the chickens lay in the other. is this broody? i don't know if she is sick or trying to hatch an egg that is not there??

Is she staying on the nest like 23 1/2 - 7???? Does she "growl" at you when you reach in to pet her or feel for eggs under her??? If so, I'd say you have a broody. If not, then she may just be dabbling...

ETA - hmmm...I've never heard of a broody that mild mannered. They ususally growl, screech, or threaten in some way when you reach in toward them.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like she could be. Does she sleep on the nest at night? Does she puff up her feathers and screech at you if you try to reach into the nest?

she doesn't growl at me. i reach in and remove her from the nest or lift her up to see if she is on eggs and she usually is not on eggs. she just goes right back to sitting on the nest. she sleeps there too.

And they aren't always mean. Sometimes they know you won't hurt them. My BO broody lets me pick her up, check her eggs or chicks. She grumbles a little about it, but never pecks me or acts aggressive. Now, if another chicken comes near them, that's another story...it's war!

Back
Top Bottom