Is this chicken a dud?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mlouski, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mlouski

mlouski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    This is my second season of chicken "rustling." Started out with 3 birds. One died. Two have carried on, except that one has completely stopped laying eggs...she sits on the nest in the morning for a while (regardless of whether or not the other birds has laid her egg), goes through the motions but nada. She appears healthy and robust. Eats but doesn't "pay her rent." She is not egg bound, obviously or she would be dead long ago. Could she have peaked early and has now turned into a "pet?"

Thanks

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    how old is she?

Does she stay on the nest all day? That might indicate she's going broody, going to sit on a clutch of eggs until they hatch.

3. mlouski

Jun 7, 2009
    She's not broody...normal behavior in every way...just no egg.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She may be an internal layer.

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    one of mine goes into the nest box as well and sits as if she is trying to lay an egg. i found out she was laying soft shelled eggs outside the nest box and when she did this, the other hens knew what was about to happen and they ate the evidence.

do they get extra calcium?

6. mlouski

Jun 7, 2009
    Howling good might have an answer there...she did have some soft shell eggs going for a while....but what is an internal layer?

7. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    [​IMG] I can't help OP but I also want to know what an internal layer is.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Poor Speckledhen has posted about internal laying with a few of her hens. Do a search-she, sadly, has had too much experience with this condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by