Is this chicken a Salmon Faverolle?

6sablehens

Songster
Mar 27, 2017
Hi all :frow
I recently purchased a Faverolle chick to add to the flock. At the time, the chick only appeared to be a few weeks old. She had pure white feathers sprouting from her wings. I thought the breeders only sold Salmon Faverolles, and remembered reading that light feathers = female. So, as soon as I saw that chicken the decision was made and we brought her home. (Who can resist those little fluffy cheeks, anyway?)

It was that evening that I started to wonder if it was normal for a salmon chicks feathers to be so light. I looked at pictures on the internet and saw that even female Salmon Faverolles around the same age already had cream/salmon coloured feathers. So I then made the assumption that I had a white Faverolle.

Many weeks later, the chicks nearly fully feathered out, and I start seeing beautiful light salmon feathers coming through in between the white. I couldn’t believe this, and am quite exited because the chick has started to look more like a Salmon Faverolle, and a female!

Does anyone know if this normal for a salmon to have so many white feathers? I thought it was really strange and I am now starting to think about the possibility she could even be some sort of cross between different coloured Faverolles.

Below are some photos-

2078DCB8-CC28-4AD5-B744-8DA0B1FDA753.jpeg

7120CC49-7A46-4611-BF4C-E80A39E6E2F6.jpeg

527B17E2-EB41-4120-813C-60CA15467D0F.jpeg

65862D1F-E73F-4D64-A077-3116F855214B.jpeg

733D1B19-9A41-4311-BA63-036514AE666C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all :frow
I recently purchased a gorgeous Faverolle chick to add to the flock. At the time, the chick only appeared to be a few weeks old. She had pure white feathers sprouting from her wings. I thought the breeders only sold Salmon Faverolles, and remembered reading that light feathers = female. So, as soon as I saw that chicken the decision was made and we brought her home. (Who can resist those little fluffy cheeks, anyway?)

It was that evening that I started to wonder if it was normal for a salmon chicks feathers to be so light. I looked at pictures on the internet and saw that even female Salmon Faverolles around the same age already had cream/salmon coloured feathers. So I looked up “white Faverolles” on the internet, then assumed this was actually the colour Faverolle that I had.

Many weeks later, the chicks nearly fully feathered out, and I start seeing beautiful light salmon feathers coming through in between the white. I couldn’t believe this, and am quite exited because the chick has started to look like a Salmon Faverolle, and a female!

Does anyone know if this normal for a salmon to have so many white feathers? I thought it was really strange and I am now starting to think about the possibility she could be even be some sort of cross between different coloured Faverolles.

Below are some photos-

View attachment 1610603

View attachment 1610604

View attachment 1610606

View attachment 1610607

View attachment 1610608
Good things to check for as oldhen suggested. The coloring is actually coming in about right for a Fav...just wondering where the puffy cheeks are. Here are a couple of photos of my bantam Favorelle. With some babies..
FB_IMG_1509557173646.jpg
:)
FB_IMG_1509557159343.jpg
See the darker feathers around the neck? Just like yours is doing. Give it another month. Sometimes those puffy cheeks don't pop out for a while.

Does she have muffs? What color are her feet and legs, should be pink. Does she have the extra toe?
She has all the features you mentioned. The muffs do look quite small in those photos. They were taken just over a week ago, now she has feathered out more they’re more noticeable. I took some more photos today which I’ll be posting soon :)

Back
Top Bottom