Is this chicken egg bound?

Blood smeared eggs can be common in new layers or when a large egg is laid. Blood or meat spots can be common in a certain percentage of all eggs. Here is some info to read about these things:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

Blood on egg shell

This can be anywhere from a few spots to a smear to an alarming amount of blood. Causes are:

- Small blood vessels ruptured in the hen's vagina from excessive straining. This is more common in young pullets coming into lay and overweight hens;

- Cannibalism, vent pecking;

- Sudden big increase in length of daylight (when supplementing light in winter months);

- A mite/lice infestation around the vent.

Meat spots

These are usually little bits of the lining of the oviduct which got shed during the egg formation process, but some may be partially broken down blood spots. They often take on the apearance of dirt or soil and vary in colour from pale yellow to dark brown or red, as shown in the images. Sizes vary from tiny specks to a few millimetres in diameter. There is a higher incidence of meat spots in eggs from older layers.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying
I have 10 pullets ...all are around one year old ...this is coning from one chicken with swalloen bottom and she stay for hours in the nesting box untill she lay one egg ...the shell is so thin
The others are giving good and healthy eggs with no issues

I have a chicken that has a swollen bottom like that, and there are many threads here on BYC about other such birds. They can suffer from many different things such as cysts, internal laying, and others. I would not cull her unless she was suffering in some way. Some people will cull birds that don't lay well, but many of us just keep them around for their past "service" and as pets. Just make sure that you feed her plenty of crushed egg shells for extra calcium as well as layer feed to hopefully firm up her shells.

Thank you ...i will add more calcium to her feed and keep my eyes on her ....she lays every other day but the last three eggs were odd ....thank you again
Do you know which breed she is????

I'm not an expert on breeds, but she looks like my black australorp. There are other black chickens, but the australorp has a U-shape to their back line.

Ms_Reyneisha.jpg

Back
Top Bottom