Is this chicken egg bound?

tajuano

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Whatcom County, WA

I have a question about my young chicken. She is not even year old and started to lay just recently, but not regularly. Couple of days ago she started to have lose poop and kind of low hanging stomach. She eats just fine and she walks fine as well, she does not appear sick, but after I checked her abdominal it feels big and round, also I was able to feel an egg that was laying sideways right after the rib cage. I have her in the garage at the moment, have given her probiotics and food. Any ideas? Also her abdomen became like this after she started to lay.

I have a question about my young chicken. She is not even year old and started to lay just recently, but not regularly. Couple of days ago she started to have lose poop and kind of low hanging stomach. She eats just fine and she walks fine as well, she does not appear sick, but after I checked her abdominal it feels big and round, also I was able to feel an egg that was laying sideways right after the rib cage. I have her in the garage at the moment, have given her probiotics and food. Any ideas? Also her abdomen became like this after she started to lay.
She is a beautiful Golden Laced Wyandotte!
She is egg bound if you feel an egg. To help her lay the egg you need to give her calcium like egg shells, eggs etc.
Is she pooping?
She doesn't have any poop on her butt, which is a good sign.
Is she acting different than usual
BCP

She is Double Lased Blue Barnavelder. And yes, she is pooping up a storm. I have her caged in with food and probiotics in the water. She seems unbothered by her abdominal problems.

Quote: Sorry about not saying her breed correctly.
Is her poop regular poop? or watery?
And she eats, drinks and walks around?
Is she making her normal chicken noise? Or is she not talking at all?
BCP

She has a little runny poop, but nothing abnormal, she eats and drinks normal and makes normal chicken noise. Could that be just her fat? but no other chicken has this, and I have two other chickens that are the same age and breed. I just don't know what to do here. I did give her bath yesterday and massaged her stomach, it made no difference, and she did not act as she was in pain or uncomfortable.

She has a little runny poop, but nothing abnormal, she eats and drinks normal and makes normal chicken noise. Could that be just her fat? but no other chicken has this, and I have two other chickens that are the same age and breed. I just don't know what to do here. I did give her bath yesterday and massaged her stomach, it made no difference, and she did not act as she was in pain or uncomfortable.
This is VERY strange.
It sounds like she is perfectly fine.
But then you feel her and it just doesn't seem right. Does it feel like she has a tumor?

BCP

it feels like there is an egg right after her rib cage, and it is side ways, also feels like her abdomen is full of fat. I had a chicken with stomach tumor, from age, she was old, and it was hard and blue, this is different. I just going to hold her in that cage until she lays that egg and then I will see what to do next.

Last edited:
She had layed an egg today. and her crop was full, but I will keep an eye on her. She was locked up in the cage and had excess to all you can eat food and water, so she helped herself without hesitation.

Hello, i was looking for a case similar to my chicken she has watery poop and big low bottom..the last two times she lay eggs ...eggs looks odd inside and outside ...thin shell with blood and strange things inside i will try to attach pics

Back
Top Bottom