Is this cockerel a secret pullet?

View attachment 2730972
View attachment 2730974
here’s my black ameraucana x barred rock cockerel at 13 weeks old. These are the last pictures of him, though, because my brother’s boss bought him for her flock. He’s a lot older now, but I’d have to ask her to take a picture of him.
Oh wow, he’s extremely similar even down to the pullet-like features. Do you happen to know if his wattles/comb developed a lot after that?

Your bird is an Easter Egger.View attachment 2730969
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if she got a few EEs with her hatching eggs, so that’s a very real possibility. I normally ask more questions but because he was a random freebie and it was after dark we didn’t discuss it too much. The chicks I got from her were salmon faverolles from her regular flock so no useful info there!

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if she got a few EEs with her hatching eggs, so that’s a very real possibility. I normally ask more questions but because he was a random freebie and it was after dark we didn’t discuss it too much. The chicks I got from her were salmon faverolles from her regular flock so no useful info there!
Okay.

Oh wow, he’s extremely similar even down to the pullet-like features. Do you happen to know if his wattles/comb developed a lot after that?
It probably did, he was still pretty young in that picture. Though, his comb was already more developed than your 17 week old. You won’t be seeing any wattles in bearded birds, so you have to go by combs. My boy should be turning 18 weeks tomorrow, so I’m actually curious as to what he looks like now. I’ll have to ask her to take some pictures of him.

Anyways, it looks like you might have a pullet. You shouldn’t have to wait too much longer to find out.

Looks like an ee or ameraucana mix by the face .. pullet.. and legs are skinny
I did not know about the skinny legs that a few people have mentioned was an indicator for the sex! I think you’re right about the mix - I don’t know of any pure breeds with both muffs and barring like that, now that I think about it. The behaviour has really been a tell as well - I’m sure the other cockerels in their “club” would be challenging him/her by now as they are now pretty much the same size and chest bumping with all the other cockerels they currently associate with.

It probably did, he was still pretty young in that picture. Though, his comb was already more developed than your 17 week old. You won’t be seeing any wattles in bearded birds, so you have to go by combs. My boy should be turning 18 weeks tomorrow, so I’m actually curious as to what he looks like now. I’ll have to ask her to take some pictures of him.

Anyways, it looks like you might have a pullet. You shouldn’t have to wait too much longer to find out.
I’m a bit excited about it, TBH! We’ll likely keep him either way since he’s so submissive and the kids like him, so if he end up laying it’s just a bonus at this point!

I’d love to see photos if you end up getting any! I can’t picture what he would look like as a rooster at this point but I know he could just be really slow to mature. This is another (horrendous) photo showing him (far left) with our crested cream legbar and Icelandic cockerels that are 4-6 weeks younger, just for comparison in terms of combs.

Attachments

• 2B64F9C9-AE34-4E07-A4C1-8595CE9F312F.jpeg
    2B64F9C9-AE34-4E07-A4C1-8595CE9F312F.jpeg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom