Is this coop a good find?

Thanks for all of your help! Doesn’t seem like we missed out on anything I feel bad about. I believe things happen for a reason! ❤️

Yeah, I was not too crazy about that coop which obviously did not meet their needs and had to be modified. Where I live, those prefab coops are not built very well and sometimes people just give them away if you come to haul it off. On the other hand, building your coop is bound to be a lot more expensive than you think. I built my coop out of mostly left over material from other projects but still put in about $600 dollars into my 6X12 coop. And that was pre Pandemic when a 4X8 sheet of OSB sheeting cost about $7.00. Now I think that same OSB sheet costs about $4000.00 each!

Having chickens is a great experience. If your budget is tight, then saving money by reusing pallet wood may be an option. From experience, breaking down pallets to get good wood is a lot of work. But if you enjoy building the coop, then I guess it will be a labor of love.

If you plan on future upgrades, I would consider building a coop design that you could easily expand. I was not too impressed with the modifications made to the coop in your picture. It just looked off to me. But, knowing chickens, they probably could care less on the looks.

:old Because of my age, I designed my coop where I can fully stand up inside it to clean it out and perform any maintenance needed. I also made the back end door to drop down so I can easily push/shovel out the soiled coop litter. Because I live in northern Minnesota, I also made easy access from the main door to hang a feeder and put my waterer in the coop. I don't have to actually get into the coop for any daily chores. Even the nest boxes are accessed from a drop down door on the outside wall. What I am saying is that if you build your own coop, keep your physical needs in consideration because routine chores should not be difficult on you if you build the coop right.

This one was on Craigslist too, and I might try something similar if I get enough pallets at work. I also have 4 pieces of plywood and 8 2x4s left over from a project, so besides buying roofing and hinges/hardware, I think DH & I could pull it off. I’d like access to the nest box from outside, and a small chicken door, but definitely a workable idea and no pallet breakdown required. Thinking I could use the plywood up to the last foot at the top & the ventilation between the top rings of the pallet would be enough.

If we can’t find one on Craigslist before March/April, the building will begin, and I’ll definitely post updates. I am horrible with stuff like that, but we definitely can’t spend $1000-$2000 on a lovely Amish build (the price in my area), and I would look at converting a shed but with a limit of 6 chickens in my yard that is a completely unnecessary size (smallest would be 8x10 and still about $1000 before modifications.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachments

• 8A30CC33-D973-4762-9999-09169DCE875B.png
    8A30CC33-D973-4762-9999-09169DCE875B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Please consider that with buying a previously used coop, there is a high risk of bringing in a hefty dose of (lethal) viruses, bacteria and parasites or parasites eggs.

Apart from this, the remodeling cost for a flimsy or half rotten construction is mostly way too high and you still would not have a proper and safe coop for your chickens.

It is much better to look for a shed that can be remodeled ( @DobieLover has a great article on how to do it) or build your own coop with either reclaimed (beware of mold or toxins etc) or new materials.

Shed to coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/

Thank you @U_Stormcrow . We will check it out after the holiday. If we end up getting it I’ll probably have more questions for you! I appreciate the time you took to draw up your suggestions. ❤️
Where are you located? I built a super heavy coop with run about 3 almost 4 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was built. I may sell it since we moved to 5 acres and plan to get a lot more chickens now so I am building a walk in coop with a massive run. I would sell my current coop for $300
It has a 5 gallon water jug plumbed to inside and out with cut offs, drip waterer along with a 5 gallon hanging feeder. There is also 2 light fixtures ( 1 flouresent and 1 heat lamp ) it keeps the chill out and water from freezing in the winter months and also keeps them laying. There is a gutter system that feeds the water jug but the gutter needs to be relocated to catch more rainwater which is simple. Located in Missouri here. Side run can be removed with a few screws and enlarged or set inside a large fenced in run. Also has a sliding door to close it up with a lever to operate it from the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_9755.jpg
    IMG_9755.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9754.jpg
    IMG_9754.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9753.jpg
    IMG_9753.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 123024955_197321248577199_5093202165896239179_n.jpg
    123024955_197321248577199_5093202165896239179_n.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 130479239_216719223304068_577096739537976658_n.jpg
    130479239_216719223304068_577096739537976658_n.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 123205708_197321201910537_8178433853418834368_n.jpg
    123205708_197321201910537_8178433853418834368_n.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 2
Please consider that with buying a previously used coop, there is a high risk of bringing in a hefty dose of (lethal) viruses, bacteria and parasites or parasites eggs.

Apart from this, the remodeling cost for a flimsy or half rotten construction is mostly way too high and you still would not have a proper and safe coop for your chickens.

It is much better to look for a shed that can be remodeled ( @DobieLover has a great article on how to do it) or build your own coop with either reclaimed (beware of mold or toxins etc) or new materials.

Shed to coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/
Thanks. I didn’t think about possible diseases. Maybe we will just go with a build….
Where are you located? I built a super heavy coop with run about 3 almost 4 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was built. I may sell it since we moved to 5 acres and plan to get a lot more chickens now so I am building a walk in coop with a massive run. I would sell my current coop for $300
It has a 5 gallon water jug plumbed to inside and out with cut offs, drip waterer along with a 5 gallon hanging feeder. There is also 2 light fixtures ( 1 flouresent and 1 heat lamp ) it keeps the chill out and water from freezing in the winter months and also keeps them laying. There is a gutter system that feeds the water jug but the gutter needs to be relocated to catch more rainwater which is simple. Located in Missouri here. Side run can be removed with a few screws and enlarged or set inside a large fenced in run. Also has a sliding door to close it up with a lever to operate it from the outside.
Looks amazing! I am in NY unfortunately so it would be quite the hike to transport that coop!

Yeah, I was not too crazy about that coop which obviously did not meet their needs and had to be modified. Where I live, those prefab coops are not built very well and sometimes people just give them away if you come to haul it off. On the other hand, building your coop is bound to be a lot more expensive than you think. I built my coop out of mostly left over material from other projects but still put in about $600 dollars into my 6X12 coop. And that was pre Pandemic when a 4X8 sheet of OSB sheeting cost about $7.00. Now I think that same OSB sheet costs about $4000.00 each!

Having chickens is a great experience. If your budget is tight, then saving money by reusing pallet wood may be an option. From experience, breaking down pallets to get good wood is a lot of work. But if you enjoy building the coop, then I guess it will be a labor of love.

If you plan on future upgrades, I would consider building a coop design that you could easily expand. I was not too impressed with the modifications made to the coop in your picture. It just looked off to me. But, knowing chickens, they probably could care less on the looks.

:old Because of my age, I designed my coop where I can fully stand up inside it to clean it out and perform any maintenance needed. I also made the back end door to drop down so I can easily push/shovel out the soiled coop litter. Because I live in northern Minnesota, I also made easy access from the main door to hang a feeder and put my waterer in the coop. I don't have to actually get into the coop for any daily chores. Even the nest boxes are accessed from a drop down door on the outside wall. What I am saying is that if you build your own coop, keep your physical needs in consideration because routine chores should not be difficult on you if you build the coop right.
Great addvise, I

I am in NY
Where, in NY? What region?
I did convert an old shed that was on the property when we bought the place into my new coop but I needed a new shed to store all my lawn equipment before I committed to doing that. I picked up this for the cost of a dozen eggs to move it.
IMG_20211204_111922958.jpg

It has thus been dubbed the Egg Shed.

Granted, I lucked out in that the guy that had the shed was just over 1/2 mile down the road and knew DH so he gave it to us. My neighbor has all kinds of heavy machinery and went down and strapped the shed to the bucket on his tractor and drove it up the hill and placed it on the base I prepared for it. It will need work to replace the rotted siding but free is free. I found it on CL.

When I converted my shed into my coop it got a scrub down with bleach water and was rinsed before I primed and painted the interior.

So I suggest you call the shed suppliers in your area and ask what they do with old sheds they remove from properties. Even if they have nothing, you can ask them if they can pick up a used shed and move it for you so you know what that cost would be then search CL and FB Marketplace for an old shed near you.

I would look at converting a shed but with a limit of 6 chickens in my yard that is a completely unnecessary size (smallest would be 8x10 and still about $1000 before modifications.
I'm sure I have seen sheds for sale that are smaller than 8x10, although I suppose your area might have different options than mine. :confused:

For 6 chickens, you want a coop at least 24 square feet (that could be 4x6 interior dimensions). But shed dimensions may be measured on the outside, and the feed & water will also take up space inside, you I would probably look for 6x6 or 4x8 to allow for those things.

If your chickens will need to stay inside for weeks or months during the winter, you may want more space per chicken, maybe as high as the 10+ square feet each that is usually recommended for the run. That could be 60 square feet for 6 chickens, which is almost 8x8 feet.

You could also look into playhouses. Some of them are about the right size, and I see many with large window openings that would provide great ventilation if you just covered them with hardware cloth for predator-proofing.

Of course, none of those ideas help much with the cost (unless you get something used, but you've already been looking into that.)

Watch for used polebarn steel for your roofing/overhang. If I were to have bought the 1st one, I wld have used similar idea given for run, used the siding for the new roofing. It would have been easy enough to knock off the flimsy legs and make your own supports- and the right disinfectants work. To me, the store bought coops are way too small-but I like to go inside and socialize w/my birds. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom