Is this coop suitable?

abc123no

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
nowhere
OK here are my thoughts-

It looks like it might be difficult to clean in the far corner where a chicken enters the door and turns right? Does the lid lift up? Also to retrieve eggs that they lay in the corner.

You need 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep out raccoons, weasels, and rats from eating the chickens (chicken wire won't stop them). So while a chicken wire run is something that a lot of people do to keep expense down, you would definitely want to close them up in a secure coop at night while the coons try to get in. You would need to at minimum place a hardware cloth door over the opening and if you wanted it to be warmer for winter, put a covering over the door or make a wood door.

There needs to be ventilation added to the doghouse if you close the door with wood (they need some air vents- not just holes drilled but rectangles of air with 1/2 inch hardware cloth installed in them, up high over the chickens' heads so they don't have wind blowing on them.

Chickens like roosts, so you might need to install a roost. But if that lid doesn't raise it will be a bear to clean and maintain inside the doghouse- turning the corner as you enter the door.

You will need to be able to easily access the nest boxes daily to gather eggs.

I actually thought about making a coop out of one of these for some silkies awhile back, so this was all pre-thought out on my part, sharing these comments with you.

Last edited:
x2. I'd either put some hinges on the roof or put another door on the right wall for easier cleaning (+ the obvious predator proofing the existing door opening and other things chickens need). If I were to use this, I might do a built in or a PVC feeder that sits outside the coop (maybe a waterer too) and nest boxes that you can access from outside so that stuff isnt taking up floor space. I think it would make a cute coop for a few chickens though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom