Is this correct ?

Cholesterol man

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
I have 3 chickens. They are 7 weeks old and size of my coop is 4.2 cubic feet. I have a diagonal roost with length of 2.2 feet and 1.4 feet away from walls and an angle of 45 degree. They have a bowl of water with Apple cider vinegar in it and a commercial feeder with 12 cubic inch of feeding space. And bedding is a fabric with cleaning every 2 weeks. My coop is a cage because there no available coops to buy and our garden is very small. They will be allowed to free range twice a week. Is this measurement correct?

Attachments

• 1629509034674..jpg
    1629509034674..jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 21
I have 3 chickens. They are 7 weeks old and size of my coop is 4.2 cubic feet. I have a diagonal roost with length of 2.2 feet and 1.4 feet away from walls and an angle of 45 degree. They have a bowl of water with Apple cider vinegar in it and a commercial feeder with 12 cubic inch of feeding space. And bedding is a fabric with cleaning every 2 weeks. My coop is a cage because there no available coops to buy and our garden is very small. They will be allowed to free range twice a week. Is this measurement correct?
No. It's way too small.
They need a run with as much space as you can give them. I'd try for 40 sq feet.
You don't want to think of the coop size in terms of volume. You need to offer them square footage. They should have 12 sq feet of floor space and this does not include the nest box space.
They should also have 1 linear foot of roost per bird.

Last edited:
No, that coop is far, far too small and occasional free-ranging doesn't make up for it.

Each adult, standard-size hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
1/4 of a nestbox,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located above the chickens' heads when they're sitting on their roost.

So, your flock of 3 needs at least.,

12 square feet in the coop,
30 square feet in the run,
3 feet of roost,
2 nest boxes (so that they have a choice),
and 3 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom