Is this correct?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by miscindy, Mar 19, 2012.

1. miscindy

miscindy New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    I got 5 laying hens last month. I have been feeding them free-choice layer pellets. I give some kitchen scraps as a treat and scratch as a treat. I also crush the egg shells and feed those back for the calcium. They get some free-range time in the yard a few times each week in addition to their grassy run all day. Is that all they need? Do I need to buy grit or are they fine without it?

They seem happy and know that I am the treat lady-they follow me around! We get 2-4 eggs a day from the 5 hens, so that seems like the right number.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like chicken heaven to me.
    They are probably picking up grit from the ground, so no you do not need to provide it, as long as your ground has stones/pebbles in it.
    You might start seeing more eggs as the days get longer, depending on the breed and age of your hens.

Imp- Welcome to BYC

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Sounds good to me! Chickens love kitchen scraps. Just make sure that isn't most of what they're eating! :lol: Crushing egg shells is a good idea, that's what we do too.

As for grit, we've never used it, but our birds free range too. They get it themselves like Imp said.

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
  5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Sounds great! I would just make sure that you clean the eggshells first, like putting them in the oven for a couple minutes just to make sure there is no harmful bacteria. As for the grit, they probably don't need it, because they will pick it up when they are out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by