Is this cross beak?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
I've looked up cross beak many times and have even seen it in person for the first time in my quail this year. That quails cross beak and others in pics I've seen seem to be mostly caused by the bottom jaw. So my question is, is this also cross beak that my chick has??
IMG_20210920_145851.jpg

It looks to me like the beak is attached crookedly to the face in addition to cross beak. Has it always been like this?

This spring I had one pullet who's beak was angled slightly downwards (no cross beak or other problems) but I don't notice it anymore. I'm not sure if she grew out of it or what, but she could always eat and drink just fine.

As long as she can eat, drink, preen, breath, and isn't getting picked on, I wouldn't worry about her. But listen to other's who have had more experience over me.

It is cross beak. It almost looks as if her upper beak may have been injured at the base.
It looks to me like the beak is attached crookedly to the face in addition to cross beak. Has it always been like this?

This spring I had one pullet who's beak was angled slightly downwards (no cross beak or other problems) but I don't notice it anymore. I'm not sure if she grew out of it or what, but she could always eat and drink just fine.

As long as she can eat, drink, preen, breath, and isn't getting picked on, I wouldn't worry about her. But listen to other's who have had more experience over me.
Yup that’s crossbeak! I have 3 girlies with crossbeak!😉 Shelly’s is the worst so far-View attachment 2840404
Had it since we got her when she was a week or more older. Can cross beak be caused by injury? I'm curious about that.

Had it since we got her when she was a week or more older. Can cross beak be caused by injury? I'm curious about that.
I’m unsure. My Shelly was all shriveled in a cup (that was put in the package she was sent in🤦🏽‍♀️) and was barely even breathing (when we got her). She didn’t have it then but it just slowly crossed and now it is pretty bad. But she is a fighter and she won’t let this stop her!❤️

I’m unsure. My Shelly was all shriveled in a cup (that was put in the package she was sent in🤦🏽‍♀️) and was barely even breathing (when we got her). She didn’t have it then but it just slowly crossed and now it is pretty bad. But she is a fighter and she won’t let this stop her!❤️
That sucks. Aren't they not supposed to send those things with chicks??

Back
Top Bottom