Is this cuckoo Marans a rooster? (I am STILL undecided!)

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I've been trying to figure out if my three marans are roosters or pullets. I can't remember when I got them, but I think they are about 3 months old now...maybe a little less. I think they hatched around the end of March?

The one on the left has two identical twins. The one on the right is the only 100% for certain rooster. He is starting to crow, he makes a little alert noise when the girls get upset and runs to see what the problem is, and so on.

566707207_tPfar-L.jpg

For the one on the left and its two twins...

Tail feathers--? They don't look exactly like the rooster but they also look rather droopy for a pullet tail.
Neck feathers--I can't tell, the barring throws me off.
Comb/wattles--red and somewhat large, but not as huge or as rapidly growing as the rooster.
Legs--seem to be the same thickness as the rooster
Personality--none are pre-crowing, they make little pullet-ish noises when you hold them while the rooster almost honks and has a deep voice
Coloring--For Marans, all four of my birds are light...none are dark like pullets. They are all the exact same shade including the rooster.

So what do you think? I am getting ready to trade three of them for (hopefully!) pullet chicks of the same breed, but I want to be sure that they are definitely roosters before I do that. We are kind of attached to them, I'm sad to say goodbye! They are such sweet chickens.

Last edited:
I think that the one pulling up the rear is a pullet. If those chickens are siblings and of the same age, there's no way that one could have that much more of a start on his comb and wattles than if the others were roos. His is redder and much, much larger.

both roos, I had a hatch like that and I convinced myself the one with the smaller/lighter comb was a hen despite the lighter typical rooster color. "She" is now crowing and doing other rooster things so I guess I can no longer hold out hope!

Last edited:
That's what I've been thinking all along...maybe the 3 with the smaller combs are just slower developing roos. Or maybe the one with the huge comb is just extremely manly.

Back
Top Bottom