Is this Daisy's first egg....eeek??

Annie75

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

In the last few days a few of you have kindly helped me identify my duck, Daisy, as a Snowy Mallard. She is about 5 months old and I've been waiting to see if she'll lay an egg.

She spends the night in a cute little house with Henny Penny an ISA Brown hen and her best friend Lulu, a silkie. When I got up this morning there was an egg lying on the ground. I knew it might not be Lulu's because Lulu was busting for an egg when I let her out and promptly ran to her favourite spot. Henny Penny is in the middle of a major moult so isn't laying. So that leaves Daisy the Mallard...but it's a pretty small egg for a duck egg...or not?

Here's a photo.

Henny Penny's last egg is on the left and Lulu's last egg is on the right. The one in the middle has a more rubbery shell and seems a different colour...do you think it is Daisy's?
ya.gif

100225_p1030492.jpg

I don't have ducks but with chickens their first eggs are small then range all over in size until it settles out. Also soft shelled eggs are common in the first week of laying. Again that will settle out or you can up her calcium intake by feeding back egg shells or oyster shells.

Yup, first eggs are often quite small. They can also be crazy shaped, have funky shells, and all kinds of silly nonsense while their systems work out the kinks. My ducks don't reach full-sized eggs until their second year. Congrats!

Thanks everyone. I'm very proud of her. She's been through a lot in her little life and she's now all grown up. I wonder if I got her a boyfriend would he be satisfied with just her or would he molest my chickens?

Back
Top Bottom