Is this duck okay?

Another possibility is gang rape many drakes and a female can cause injury and trauma. Although my Muscovy drakes never have gang raped because they would most likely end up fighting each other instead of mating with the female. I've never had Muscovy drakes get along unless there were no females involved. Other may have a different story.

Can you go look at one of your other girls the preen gland is at top of body where body and tail meet,
I just tried but couldn't really find anything down there. I looked up where the preen gland is though, and I would say where her injury is it certainly could be her preen gland. It's really hard to even find it on her because the nasty infected looking injury is buried in her feathers. So just some warm salt water and like Neosporin? Will regular salt work? I'll have to wait till tomorrow so I can empty the shavings out of the tub and fill it with water for her. I also have some old rabbit cages that I could put her in but I had her in a little cage on the car ride on the way here and she was FREAKING out and trying to fly through the bars of the cage and she kind of hurt her beak area a bit by doing that so I don't really want to put her in it becuase she might hurt herself. I'm fine with her in my tub but she will probably only stay in there until she realizes the shower curtain is not a solid wall. Do you think it would be a good idea to put her in my coop with my other girls when it gets to nighttime?

Here is another picture, where the feathers end is her butt, there would normally be tail feathers but I assume whatever predator injured her probably ripped out those feathers. She disappeared from the park for around a month before I found her so I assume she was living in the bushes barely getting enough food to survive.

Attachments

• 20210109_160107.jpg
    20210109_160107.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 19
Also.. how long do you think it will take to heal? I'm not sure what to do with her after she is done healing up tbh

Personally I wouldn't mix a sick feral duck with my ducks. I feel that would cause my ducks stress and possibly expose them to disease and parasites. My ducks used to be feral and they had internal parasites, external parasites, and infectious bronchitis - so I may be extra paranoid.

When one of my ducks is ill and in recovery I put about 3 layers of towels on the floor of my bathroom. I change the towels about 3 times daily and do a lot of laundry.

Oh wow that's a lot. I only own like 3 towels so I guess we will see what I can do. Both of my other ducks were actually from the same park but they weren't really feral one of them I found as a day old duckling and the other someone dumped as an adult duck. Honestly just with how little she weighed I am very worried to bring her back to the park

Here is another picture, where the feathers end is her butt, there would normally be tail feathers but I assume whatever predator injured her probably ripped out those feathers. She disappeared from the park for around a month before I found her so I assume she was living in the bushes barely getting enough food to survive.
That looks like the location of the preen gland. It's hard to see it well.

@Miss Lydia could be into something with the overmating. Before I got my duck she was overmated so much she was missing many tail and wing feathers. She was also rather bloody. Often with overmating they will be missing feathers on the neck where there drakes hold on, are you seeing that?

Back
Top Bottom