Is this duck to old to be treated for angel wing?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hi all! Well I went against my instincts and got a duck at the auction over the weekend. It was being sold as a female muscovy and was a lovely ripple. I never buy birds there because you don't know what you are getting. But I needed another girl so thought why not. Well when I got home I found out not only is she a he but has a bad case of aglel wing. Infact I thought it was broken until I looked closer. Well I have never dealt with angel wing. The drake is around 12-14 weeks I would say, is that too old to correct it? I have him wrapped up wings in place. Not going to keep him as a breeder. I will either find him a new home letting the people know about the angel wing or or he'll go to freezer camp when he gets bigger.
I know there is a debate whether angel wing is is is genetic or nutritional. I personally think it's genetic. My 1st time getting muscovy eggs I got them from a farm that had lots of many duck breeds. Only the muscovy had angel wing. I'm glad none of those eggs hatch.
20210810_110028.jpg

It is in my experience at this age AW will be very hard to correct as now the joints are simply too stiff and will not readily correct itself with bandaging measures.
Angel wing obviously debilitates the bird from flying which can make it succumb to predators more increasing than others, but in general, will not affect the welfare of the animal

In birds that are not able to be treated, I wait till the feathers have matured and trim them very close to the wing; this simply allows better eye appeal, but also decreases the chance of feather damage from hitting objects.

Hi all! Well I went against my instincts and got a duck at the auction over the weekend. It was being sold as a female muscovy and was a lovely ripple. I never buy birds there because you don't know what you are getting. But I needed another girl so thought why not. Well when I got home I found out not only is she a he but has a bad case of aglel wing. Infact I thought it was broken until I looked closer. Well I have never dealt with angel wing. The drake is around 12-14 weeks I would say, is that too old to correct it? I have him wrapped up wings in place. Not going to keep him as a breeder. I will either find him a new home letting the people know about the angel wing or or he'll go to freezer camp when he gets bigger.
I know there is a debate whether angel wing is is is genetic or nutritional. I personally think it's genetic. My 1st time getting muscovy eggs I got them from a farm that had lots of many duck breeds. Only the muscovy had angel wing. I'm glad none of those

That might be a bit old to try an correct it. If the wing will fold back in correct position you could always try. Some people have had success correcting them when they molt. So you would likely need to wait a year before being able to correct it.

Genetics definitely cause angel wing, but I also believe there is evidence that suggests there are non-genetic causes as well.

Also, just so you are aware, sometimes old threads get ignored. So it is usually best to start a new thread for help. However, sometimes you can good help from old threads.

Back
Top Bottom