Is this early BUMBLEFOOT? (pics) If so... how to treat at this stage?

So, Cynthia-

I did read that in your other posts you said antibiotics didn't work for you. I'm not a big fan of them in general, but in this case it seems a less drastic measure than surgery... if you were me would you go ahead and start antibiotics even though the foot isn't swollen, no limping, etc??

I checked and Tractor Supply doesn't have any he mentions in the article, so I will probably have to order on line, sigh, $$ and time!!!

Thanks
Stacey

Actually, if its just starting, you may not need to do actual surgery. The scab is usually fairly easy to get off if you soak the foot in epsom salts first the lift around the edges with an exacto blade. Then you could just put Neosporin on that wound and a gauze pad and bandage it up with the stretchy Vetwrap bandage. In the early stages, that may knock it out if it isn't very deep. The pus usually solidifies in a plug that needs to come out, but if it hasn't gotten to that stage, you wont need to cut into the foot pad much at all. Those antibiotics are basically order items, I believe. Terramycin is useless for bumblefoot, in my experience. Some have had okay results from Pen-G injections and you can get that at the feedstore.

Last edited:
It looks like the antibiotics will cost $50, no local feed stores have them that I can find, so I think we'll take a "wait and see" attitude on using them for the time being. I will try soaking the feet and take a closer look at the scab and see what's up.

Okay so I'm looking at these pics the OP posted and I was cleaning my girls yesterday and noticed 3 out of 6 have some little scabs on 1 of each of their feet. The biggest area is about the size of half a pencil eraser top that I noticed..it looks like a callous kind of. ?? I dont want them to be in pain or hurting... I just noticed it so they couldnt have had it too long. Will take pics when I return later today.

I'm confused because some say this (these pics) ARE bumble and others say its NOT bumble.
hu.gif

If I need to treat my girls... I need to know if this is or is not bumblefoot??

Help.. please.

Thanks.

I have a crazy question........ It says to give 250 mg once or twice a day. how do you give them the capsules? Do you open them up and sprinkle them on food or something or put them in water and make them drink I am just curious I know it is a simple question but a little enlightenment here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chicksdigit and I both would like to know how exactly to get this medication into the bird??? My youngest black ameraucana looking EE? hen who lays blue eggs must have hurt her right foot pad on sharp rocks that I am now covering with sand, less than a week ago. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, he and I just spoke, discussed bumblefoot and treatment, we're going with the cephalexin unless he changes his mind in the morning...he thinks its a high dose but I read the articles to him since I've been taking vet assistant classes.

PLEASE, tell us how to get the capsules of medicine down their throat...surely not like a dog or cat??? HELP!!!

Our roo went two rounds of Cephalexin (along with soaking/dressing/soft bedding) until he healed up completely.

We just dumped contents of capsule and daubed it up with chunks of grape. Gave him something to look forward to while soaking.

Many Thanks, Ivan3:) Grapes it is, the Cephalexin and office visit cost $40 this morning:) And she was very well behaved, she got tired of the vet and I visiting so she sat on my shoulder for awhile and then got onto the top of my head and sat there until we left. She loves soaking her foot and it looks like the scratch was on the back toe/thumb which is swollen and hard but her swollen pad is still soft. If the medicine doesn't work he's going to do surgery on her five days after treatment. I'm also proud of her and my favorite hunting dog, she sits on my lap while I drive and he sits next to us and they mind their manners, how awesome is that?

snowydiamonds wrote: I'm also proud of her and my favorite hunting dog, she sits on my lap while I drive and he sits next to us and they mind their manners, how awesome is that?I'm also proud of her and my favorite hunting dog, she sits on my lap while I drive and he sits next to us and they mind their manners, how awesome is that?[

Yeah, it is not what one travels in, it is how one travels
smile.png

If you haven't seen this link (Avian Medicine Principles and Applications) the entire text is available for download, here:

http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html

Specifically: Chapter 16 Trauma Medicine Pg. 425. Bumblefoot

Good luck!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom