Is this egg-bound?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raro, Dec 9, 2010.

1. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Yesterday and today, my hens went from four to three eggs (I have four total, and they've been laying one each ever since I got them). For some reason, I decided to just pick up one at random, and I felt a huge, egg-sized lump. But everything I read about egg bound issues describes the egg as near the vent or the tummy...this is her chest! A huge, egg-shaped lump kind of where the breast hits the shoulder. She acts fine, but I gave her a warm bath, etc. like I've read to do, but how do you massage such a lump all the way through her? This is not good, is it. This is really depressing if there is nothing I can do for her. Any ideas?!?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could it be her crop? Right side?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They fill their crops before bed, and then in the morning it should be empty. You can check the lump both times to see if it is the crop.

4. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh. I feel stupid. Never thought of that, since it's so egg-shaped I just assumed. Either way, I am hoping it will shrink by morning and she will be fine. I don't think I've ever held one of them at night, so I haven't noticed such a thing before. I'll check her in the morning.

5. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    They are probably slowing down on the egg production for the winter. Sounds like a nice full crop before bed to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by