Is this egg dead or alive?

Onion123

Hatching
Jan 14, 2018
I had got this duck egg from a local store that didn’t want it because there was a developed duck inside. So I wanted to know if this duck egg look dead or alive? If alive how many days does it look like?
83D1A981-946A-4DCC-A78F-EA2F6E2A3360.jpeg

Looks dead to me. If the embryo is alive it would be moving. Have you seen any movement?
I haven’t seen it move at all and also think it’s dead. When I got it, it was rather cold because it was left on the counter for a whole day untouched since it arrived at the store.

I haven’t seen it move at all and also think it’s dead. When I got it, it was rather cold because it was left on the counter for a whole day untouched since it arrived at the store.
It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture. It appears that there may be veins but it "sort of " looks like they may be atrophying. (breaking down) But it's very hard to say.

The embryo usually won't move in a cold egg. At least that's been my experience with my eggs. My husband brought in duck eggs from our hay field. We figured they'd been sitting out since the field was cut; approx. 2-3 days and I forgot to put them in the incubator until late the next day. The four eggs hatched 4 ducks.

If I were you, put them in your incubator or under a broody hen until it warms up and then have a look at it. Try it out. You won't know until you try it.

I've had chicken eggs left out for 12 hours at 6 Celcius and the eggs were hatched fine. Eggs are MUCH more resilient than people realize.:)

This is the egg the next day I got it. I really do think it’s dead but my friend keeps saying it’s alive and she has hatched a duck egg before so I really don’t know.
12F24326-C4E9-4F8D-891F-6A4055611864.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom