Is this egg fertile???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken101Elena, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Chicken101Elena

Chicken101Elena In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    I have a 4 month old rooster he doesn’t crow yet or have spurs yet and he is with one hen. I decided to crack an egg open and see what’s inside and I’m just wondering if it’s fertile or not

Attached Files:

2. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

To my Old Eyes, it looks like a Faint Ring around the Dot. I'd say Maybe. But I would let younger eyes confirm...JJ

FowlWitch and ChickenCanoe like this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not fertile. And I wouldn't incubate any eggs from a rooster until at least 6 months of age. 1 year is better.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have old eyes too and even have trouble determining fertility of my eggs with a magnifying glass. But I don't see a halo.

Chef JimmyJ likes this.
  5. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

So there you go. Thanks for the confirmation...JJ

6. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    To me I can see a faint ring around it, I cracked some from my Bantams eggs that didn't have a very visible ring and put some in the incubator. They hatched regardless of that so were definitely fertile.

If you are wanting to hatch some I wouldn't say there is any reason why you couldn't give these eggs a go. Then you'll find your answer as to if they definitely are fertile or not if some development starts.

If no development starts then there's a high chance they were never fertile and you know to wait till your Cockerel matures.

I do usually wait till my boys are matured/fully grown before I start hatching eggs from them but even then, sometimes you can end up with infertile eggs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    FowlWitch likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: