Is this enough space for 8 birds?

Ok. I'm still new so don't know how and where to do this but this looked like a good place to ask. How many chickens can be housed in a 4' x4' area? Will have at least a run and possibly some free ranging.

Ok. I'm still new so don't know how and where to do this but this looked like a good place to ask. How many chickens can be housed in a 4' x4' area? Will have at least a run and possibly some free ranging.
It depends......click the link and learn.

Fantastic treatise to help decide how much SPACE your chickens need.

Each bantams needs 2 sq ft of inside space
Each small bird needs 3 sq ft of inside space
Each large bird needs 4 sq ft of inside space with at least 10 sq ft of outside space aloud every day if not free ranging.
I have 23 sq ft of inside space for 8 birds (small and large) and a huge run. I no this is to small of a space and IM GOING TO ADD ON SOON. Thanks

Jenna, I haven't read the entire thread, but picked up on something about these being some chickens of someone that meant a lot to you? Remember that these chickens will be dead and gone in a few years. But, you will have the memory of the person that meant so much to you, and what they taught you...no one can ever take that away from you. Will your memory, though, include a time when the chickens in your care suffered due to sentimental, self-serving purposes? I don't say that last sentence in a harsh way, but in a factual manner. Don't let emotions corrupt rational thoughts. Responsibility for other living creatures requires maturity...and maturity comes with sacrifice.

The birds must have room...or they *will* suffer.

Best wishes,
Ed

It depends......click the link and learn.

[COLOR=797774]Fantastic treatise to help decide [/COLOR]how much[COLOR=797774] [/COLOR][COLOR=797774]SPACE[/COLOR][COLOR=797774] [/COLOR]your chickens need.
Thank you. So if I read correctly (and in your opinion) would that be ok for 2 and at the most possibly 3 large birds? They will have definitely have a run and also some free ranging. Alto over winter I don't know how much free ranging. Would that in your opinion and the experience you have house at least 2 maybe 3 birds (if they are friendly with each other)? Sorry if I'm being ignorant. ..I just want the best for my birds over winter.

Each bantams needs 2 sq ft of inside space
Each small bird needs 3 sq ft of inside space
Each large bird needs 4 sq ft of inside space with at least 10 sq ft of outside space aloud every day if not free ranging.
I have 23 sq ft of inside space for 8 birds (small and large) and a huge run. I no this is to small of a space and IM GOING TO ADD ON SOON. Thanks
Thanks! And best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom