Is this Favus? How do I treat this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mwu81, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mwu81

mwu81 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, that looks more like some scabs caused by Fowl Pox or an infected area due to a fighting injury. In the case of Fowl Pox, the scabby area should dry up and heal within 2-6 weeks. There is nothing you can really do to treat Fowl Pox, since it is a viral disease. The only thing you could do is treat with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection.

In the case of a fighting injury, I would apply some antibiotic ointment to the area once or twice a day and see what happens. Make sure you don't use any ointment containing any "cain" or "caine" ingredients, since those are harmful.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

Also, some of my birds get dry combs when it gets cold out. It's possible that the whitish yellow is dry skin flaking off. I haven't yet found the reason why it happens to my roosters, but by putting a moisterizer like antibiotic ointment on the combs, it goes away almost immediately.

4. mwu81

mwu81 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    Thank you that helps alot. I've only had him about a week, he's a ginger OEGB, he had a little mark on him when I got him and I thought it might be from fighting but it's turned to that so I'm not sure, I may try the antibiotic ointment just incase it's from fighting. Thanks again.

5. mwu81

mwu81 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    Ok I'm gonna try the antibiotic ointment. Thanks

6. mwu81

mwu81 In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Longview, Tx
    [​IMG]

He's looking much better after two days of using the ointment. Thanks again yall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: