In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
Longview, Tx

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
To me, that looks more like some scabs caused by Fowl Pox or an infected area due to a fighting injury. In the case of Fowl Pox, the scabby area should dry up and heal within 2-6 weeks. There is nothing you can really do to treat Fowl Pox, since it is a viral disease. The only thing you could do is treat with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection.

In the case of a fighting injury, I would apply some antibiotic ointment to the area once or twice a day and see what happens. Make sure you don't use any ointment containing any "cain" or "caine" ingredients, since those are harmful.

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
To me, that looks more like some scabs caused by Fowl Pox or an infected area due to a fighting injury. In the case of Fowl Pox, the scabby area should dry up and heal within 2-6 weeks. There is nothing you can really do to treat Fowl Pox, since it is a viral disease. The only thing you could do is treat with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection.

In the case of a fighting injury, I would apply some antibiotic ointment to the area once or twice a day and see what happens. Make sure you don't use any ointment containing any "cain" or "caine" ingredients, since those are harmful.
I agree.

Also, some of my birds get dry combs when it gets cold out. It's possible that the whitish yellow is dry skin flaking off. I haven't yet found the reason why it happens to my roosters, but by putting a moisterizer like antibiotic ointment on the combs, it goes away almost immediately.

mwu81

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
Longview, Tx
Thank you that helps alot. I've only had him about a week, he's a ginger OEGB, he had a little mark on him when I got him and I thought it might be from fighting but it's turned to that so I'm not sure, I may try the antibiotic ointment just incase it's from fighting. Thanks again.

Top Bottom