is this feathered out enough?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    4 out of 5 of my 5 week old chicks seem feathered out enough to officially move out to the coop. They have been spending all day out there for the past 4 days. Just worried that one is not feathered enough. Would love somd opinions. Its the whitish chick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    These chicks are feathered out enough to withstand 30's at night. I had chicks that size with a 40 watt bulb last winter and they did fine.

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks! They've been out in the coop full time for about two weeks. We've had some chilly nights and they have been totally fine.

4. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I've got a question if you can help, in your first picture what breed is the bottom bird? Also does it's feathers feel like velvet? I have one that looks exactly like that one except I'm sure mine is a roo as his comb is much larger at only 4 weeks old. Thanks!

5. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    That's my Blue/black English Orpington. Looks a ton like the one in the upper right which is a Black Australorp. The Black Australorp feels softer. When they are standing there is a shape difference to them. The EnglishOrpington is rounder and the Australorp is more oval. For better pictures at different ages you can check for a couple threads I started to watch development. They are called "1 Week Chick Pictures" etc. I've done 1-7 weeks. For comb development check out the Splash Orpington (the whitish one). That's the one we decided is a roo. We think the rest of the flock or pullets (fingers crossed!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by