is this feed suitable?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quail42, Jan 11, 2017.

1. quail42

quail42 Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016
    I have been trying to find the right feed for my new quail and have been having some problems. The feed I bought initially was medicated so I have not been able to eat any of the eggs. Most of the stores I have been to just have low protien chicken feed. I found this feed:

ProStock[​IMG] 35% Vegetable Layer Premix

• 35% crude protein
    • High calcium levels help maintain egg size, number, mass and shell quality during peak production
    • Added Selenium
    • Palatable and easy to digest formula allows for uniformity of mixing

https://www.ufa.com/products/Livestock+Feed+Poultry-Feed/35-vegetable-layer-premix-1

Does it sound suitable? It has high protein and seems to be unmedicated. I also bought oyster shells so I can add calcium. Thanks for any help!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

35% protein, wow! Most I can find is around 28% game bird feed. The game bird feeds are often unmedicated.

In the US medicated feed has amprolium which isn't an antibiotic but a thiamine inhibitor and 10 days is the withdrawal time.

I am new to quail. I don't like that I can't see other nutrient values or ingredients listed on the link you provided though. To me, it's all about the label not the marketing used.

Usually the only thing layer has that others don't is the calcium. So if that's "high in calcium" and 35% protein, seems like something else might be missing. [​IMG] But that's just reasoning it out in my head, no evidence. Maybe others have fillers and this doesn't....

I will follow to see what others say. [​IMG]

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    It might not be intended as their sole feed - it could be ment as a supplement to grain. In any case I wouldn't dare feed it without mixing it with something much lower in protein, as there is such a thing as too much protein - it can cause serious organ issues and even death.

4. quail42

quail42 Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016
    Wow thanks, I didn't realize they could get too much protien. Good to know. I found a game bird food on amazon and ordered that instead. This was local so I was hoping it would be suitable but will use the amazon stuff for now instead.

5. EggSighted4Life

Yes, too much protein can cause 1 kind of gout and kidney failure.

How much is the protein of the one you ordered? At my two LFS, 1 carries 28% but the other is only 20%.

I think 28-30% to start and not less than 20% for laying for quail. Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, because that will be my intention until I learn otherwise.

6. EggSighted4Life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by