Is this Fowl Pox or something else?

Mootay

Chirping
Apr 14, 2020
Portland, OR
Hi all!

I have an established flock of 6 hens, all purchased/raised together. I impulse purchased two Maran pullets 4 weeks ago, when they were 1-2 days old. They are in our house, being raised in a large/XL dog crate, separate from my established flock. Today on my Cuckoo Maran, I noticed a hard, white bump below her vent. It had a small amount of mildly flaky skin/yellow crust on one side. Is this Fowl Pox!? See images along with further information:

1) What type of bird , age and weight: 4 wk old Cuckoo Maran 'pullet' (until proven otherwise), weight unknown, seems average, hasn't lost weight, feathers are coming in nicely.

2) What is the behavior, exactly: Besides having the hard, white bump:
-I've observed her occasionally sneezing
-she has smelly, loose stools (not entirely liquid, but not the firmer, normal poo either. She had pasty butt when I got her, and her stools have remained slightly loose.)
-she also tail pumps when sitting on the back of the couch after running around
-She is also VERY vocal,talks constantly with her 4 wk old black copper maran sibling. They almost sound like parakeets talking to each other.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I just noticed the tail bump today, I swear it wasn't there 2 1/2 days ago. I inspected her for lice/mites/fleas, and didn't see any, though I do understand that they can be very hard to see. (We also have dogs/cats in the house.)

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Her pullet sibling (who I suspect is actually a roo) doesn't have any bumps that I can see, but 'she' does also sneeze, tail pump, and is very vocal. Stools are normal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Cuckoo Maran pullet does have a very small red spot (read: cut/wound) on one of her wings...I assume that she scraped it on something, or perhaps sibling pecked it? Seems minor, (and is pretty small.)

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I guess its possible the sibling could have pecked her bottom, and it could have gotten infected?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. All normal, thought they do seem to go through a ton of water for just the 2 of them.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. It's loose, slightly greenish (think split pea soup color)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Neosporin. I have heard Betadine or just straight iodine is helpful if it is Fowl Pox.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd like advice to whether it looks like Fowl Pox, or if it might be something else that could use vet assistance?

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use: They're housed in a Large/XL dog crate, with pine shavings.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience on Fowl Pox, or any other possible chicken disease/infections that this could be. This is my first sick chicken and I'm a worried chicken mama and want to take the best possible care of her/the rest of my flock that I can!

Thanks!
Melissa

Attachments

• Butt Shot #1.jpg
    Butt Shot #1.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Butt Shot_Detail.jpg
    Butt Shot_Detail.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Head Shot.jpg
    Head Shot.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Preening.jpg
    Preening.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Standing Tall.JPG
    Standing Tall.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 7
That's not fowl pox. To me looks like it's stuck feces, embedded somehow, maybe pecked at but I'm not sure. Use an old rag soaked in warm water and apply it to the area and see if the feces loosens up and makes it easier to remove. Take your time and reapply warm water as necessary to loosen it. You dont want to pull it neither, the warm water should break it into small pieces. Once it's removed, you should be able to see the area more clearly and if necessary, treat accordingly with neosporin.
The standing tall pic, he's a roo.

Dawg53, thanks so much!!! I did a ton of research last night, and nothing really sounded conclusive, so I'm really relieved that it could be as simple as poop stuck to his buns. (To be fair, his nickname is "Poopy Pollo", as when I purchased him as a baby he had pasty bottom.)

I'll try soaking his bottom....he'll ****ing love that. ;-) (He already kind of hates being handled.) Fingers crossed it really is poop and not a weird lesion. On a side note, anyone in the Portland, OR area want a Cuckoo Maran rooster? ;-)

Dawg53

I got some more shots today after I soaked his little butt. Today it looks more like he either got pecked in the butt and it got infected or perhaps when his feathers were emerging, it got inflamed/impacted? The hard white mass seems to be going down a bit. Any idea on treatment? Perhaps keep doing a sea salt soak on it, with neosporin and see how it goes in a few days?

Attachments

• IMG_6864.jpg
    IMG_6864.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6866.JPG
    IMG_6866.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6868.jpg
    IMG_6868.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6877.PNG
    IMG_6877.PNG