Is This Fowl Pox? PICS

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
I see these little black dots coming onto 2 of my pullets combs... is this fowl pox? If so how should I treat it?

PICTURES:
56934_pepperpox.jpg

56934_lilypox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my magnifying glass and I still couldnt tell. Larger side pics would be better. If it is fowl pox there's not much you can do but to let it run its course. You will see dark wartlike nodules on the combs and wattles, possibly around the eyes...then there will eventually be yellowish scabs on the combs and wattles. You can put iodine on them to help them dry quicker. They are infectitive and will drop off onto the ground. The ground will be contaminated where the scab fell. Fowl pox is contagious. You might want to seperate the ones that have it, from the ones that dont have it. It takes about month to clear up. There is a vaccine for it that you might find at a feed store or TSC. you give it to the ones who arnt infected. If they do in fact have fowl pox, monitor them closely especially for "wet" pox. That's when it gets in their mouth, throat and nostrils and can eventually cause death. You can type in "wet pox" in the search box and learn more about. I've dealt with 'dry' pox, fortunately not with 'wet' pox. Once the virus has passed, they will be immune to that particular fowl pox virus. Antibiotics wont help unless there's a secondary infection.

shoot. didnt work. it seems dry to me. oh well, ill get some more tomorrow.
smile.png
and if so i will definetley use idonine or whatever u said, thanks for the great info!

That looks like just a wound from others pecking her. Mine are going through pecking order and all of their combs have those little black dots. It's just dry blood in my case.

Back
Top Bottom