Is this fowl pox? Please look at these photos

haejungkim

Chirping
Feb 14, 2017
I originally thought that it was a pecking thing but now all my 4 month olds have little spots on their combs and faces. The original bird has gotten worse as well. Can someone look at these photos?
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6884*.JPG
IMG_6933*.JPG
IMG_6936*.JPG
IMG_6938*.JPG
IMG_6941*.JPG

It may be pox, especially if you have mosquitoes and hot weather right now. Fowl pox is spread by mosquitoes and lasts several weeks, usually without serious problems. The wet form of pox can cause yellow spots inside the mouth and throat causing serious illness that may lead to death if they are not eating. Also if the scabs of dry pox around eyes become numerous, they can lead to eye infections and blindness. Just make sure they are eating and drinking normally. There is no treatment, while in fact disturbing the scabs may spread it further.

The one that has it the worst is listless today. She is standing off by herself and falling asleep standing up. She at times has a glazed look as she just stands and stares off into space. Is there something I can do to help her? Should I keep her away from the others who all look like they have it- just not as bad as her?

Yes, that is definitely pox. It makes them feel pretty droopy, so you may have to tempt your listless one with some really tasty treats to get her to eat something. My bantam had huge scabs on her tiny face with it, and it was awful to see. Hope your girls feel better soon!

Yes- I just ordered some. It will be here Sunday. Is there anything I can put on her scabs? Iodine? Betadine? Neosporin? I don't want it to spread to her eye? Will any of those products work or will the pox just go where it wants?

You may want to read this article...I think it's pretty good.

Caring for a Pox-Infected Flock

The biggest concern when Pox infects the flock is to keep immune systems running at their best. Depending on the size of the flock, birds can and should be given vitamins that strengthen the defenses of the skin and mucous membranes, boost respiratory and ocular health, and promote rapid healing.

Vitamins A, D, and E are marvelously handy any time a flock is ill and particularly for pox cases. These oil vitamins are most effective in an oil form such as a liquid drop. Vitamin B12 or the range of B vitamins should also be provided as they give the birds energy, willing birds to thrive and fostering a healthy appetite. A bird that does not feel well will not heal well so helping them to feel better encourages healthy eating and drinking and reduces dehydration and malnutrition.
Individual birds can easily be given liquid baby vitamins such as Poly-Vi-Sol for human babies at a few drops per bird. This product is inexpensive and readily found in a no-iron-added form in the vitamin section of many stores.

Many wonderful drenches and vitamin products are also produced specifically for poultry; simply read the label for vitamins A, D, E, and B. Ideally these vitamins should be given in a quickly-eaten treat or by drops individually, not in water as sick birds can be reluctant to drink; however, the owner of a large flock may have to choose a water-soluble vitamin package and certainly will find them beneficial.

Thanks all for the responses. I ordered Nutri-Drench and have put triple antibiotic ointment on their scabs. I also put Pedialyte powder in their water until the Nutri-Drench gets here. They seem OK right now. I feed them fermented feed daily and oatmeal a fews a week. I also chopped up some garlic, mealworms and honey and they seemed to eat some of it just to eat the mealworms. I also gave them eggs with turmeric. I really hope this all clears up soon.

Back
Top Bottom