Is this fowl pox? SW FL

Breezed

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2016
Naples, FL
It's been a few years since I've seen fowl pox and this is a little different than I recall. I had 7 roosters, 12 weeks old. I noticed one had his left eye closed and I thought it was bullying in the coop as they are getting older. He got worse even after being separated and died over a week after initial symptoms. Now I have a few more of the young roos with closed left eyes. One pullet as well but she seems better after a few days. None of the others are showing symptoms. One has what looks like dried phlegm on his beak near his nostrils. There are 12 total in that coop and they do free range when I'm home. None of my other flocks appear to have symptoms either. I'm in SW FL so mosquitoes are terrible. Also have a bad fly and gnat problem this year unlike anything I've seen before. I know fowl pox is not treatable, but just want to see other opinions on it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230610_133431072.jpg
    PXL_20230610_133431072.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 179
The spots on the comb could be fowl pox. The area on the eye looks like a pecking injury to me. You may need to separate the boys, you may have one that is already trying to assert himself as the top boy, and he may be going after the others. I would do some observing and see if you can figure out what is going on. Maturity rates can vary, and 12 weeks is young, but I've seen them do it pretty young sometimes. I would check inside the beaks and throats of the ones you suspect may have fowl pox, make sure there are no lesions there. The dry pox which causes the lesions on the face, combs and wattles usually runs it's course with no real issues, but if you have any of the wet form with lesions in the mouth and throat, those are more serious and the birds can stop eating and drinking.

The spots on the comb could be fowl pox. The area on the eye looks like a pecking injury to me. You may need to separate the boys, you may have one that is already trying to assert himself as the top boy, and he may be going after the others. I would do some observing and see if you can figure out what is going on. Maturity rates can vary, and 12 weeks is young, but I've seen them do it pretty young sometimes. I would check inside the beaks and throats of the ones you suspect may have fowl pox, make sure there are no lesions there. The dry pox which causes the lesions on the face, combs and wattles usually runs it's course with no real issues, but if you have any of the wet form with lesions in the mouth and throat, those are more serious and the birds can stop eating and drinking.
I couldn't find any sores in the mouth but the one that died definitely lost weight very fast and quit eating and drinking. The few others seem to be thriving better than him but still smaller than the rest of their flock that's the same age. I'm seeing more sores so I do think it's fowl pox. I'm just going to let nature take its course and just ensure they have plenty of fresh cool water and food.

Back
Top Bottom