Is this fowl pox?

dancechick915

Songster
Sep 24, 2015
Southern California
I got back after week out of town with someone else watching my chickens and discovered one of my ladies has a swollen and crusty face. She’s half silkie, about a year and a half old, and usually very broody. She still has a normal appetite but has a bit less energy. My two full silkies have a bit of swollen ears and poopy butts but all of my other chickens (all bantams) are looking and acting completely normal. What is this and what do I do?
00EE3E46-E5C2-4501-A9C2-C27A4D302816.jpeg
A693B084-4FE1-4BAA-A200-D9CED82926BE.jpeg

Looks relatively like Fowl Pox unfortunately😟. I had it one of my Belgian bantams before. Nasty😩. She couldn't see out of one of her eyes, in my experience, it gets worse before it gets better😓. The vet gave me 'IlIum Opticin'. I had to apply it morning and night each day. She eventually got better😊. You apply it to her lesions sparingly. I don't know if you can buy it somewhere, but it's worth a try🤔.

Here is an attached pic of the ointment. Sorry for the bad quality.😓
Capture.PNG

And here is Tango's fowl pox, again sorry for the bad quality image. (poor tango 😞)

Capture.PNG

Looks relatively like Fowl Pox unfortunately😟. I had it one of my Belgian bantams before. Nasty😩. She couldn't see out of one of her eyes, in my experience, it gets worse before it gets better😓. The vet gave me 'IlIum Opticin'. I had to apply it morning and night each day. She eventually got better😊. You apply it to her lesions sparingly. I don't know if you can buy it somewhere, but it's worth a try🤔.

Here is an attached pic of the ointment. Sorry for the bad quality.😓
View attachment 2302394

And here is Tango's fowl pox, again sorry for the bad quality image. (poor tango 😞)

View attachment 2302395

Looks like I would have to go to the vet for that ointment but I did buy vetericyn and iodine off of amazon and hopefully those help once they get here. I gave the coop and run a good cleaning this morning and am just hoping for the best. She is acting pretty normal this today but one of her eyes is almost completely closed up now.

Her ears as well as her face is quite swollen. Everything looks different in silkies, but that does look like fowl pox. Can you look into her ears and use a QTip to check for discharge, or dirt? If a vet is possible, they might have a suggestion. Pox is a virus caused by mosquitoes, and there is no treatment. But it can be complicated by secondary bacterial infections in the eye, such as MG and E.coli. I would apply plain Neosporin ointment to the eyes twice daily. Ears can be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and QTips, then fill the ear canal with some Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Remove any pus. Here is some reading about pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom