Is this fowl pox?

He may have an infection. Some can cause blindness or a limp. Fowl Pox can weaken the immune system allowing a secondary Infection to set in
It’s possible. No other signs of infection present that are noticeable. Eating and drinking still. He’s definitely not the happiest being in his own area but it’s for his own good. He really can’t get around the best.

We have only dealt with scaley leg mites/regular mites once last winter. We have been fortunate enough to not encounter anything else as far as worms go, so we haven’t treated before.

In warmer climates you should treat for Coccidiosis and parasites twice a year.

No one told me that and birds suddenly started getting sick and dying around 18 months old. I mean fast too. I had 5 die in a week. I went through 6 months of birds dying suddenly before I found out. I later found out none of the vaccines were 100% (more like 50%) effective. They help, but they aren't the great protectors we put our trust in.

Either one of these can effect his absorption of nutrients. Lack of nutrients causes neurological symptoms and death. They starve to death eating normally.

He needs Amprolium (Corid), a dewormer and multivitamins (especially E, B and D), afterwards (two days) he'll need probiotics.

In warmer climates you should treat for Coccidiosis and parasites twice a year.

No one told me that and birds suddenly started getting sick and dying around 18 months old. I mean fast too. I had 5 die in a week. I went through 6 months of birds dying suddenly before I found out. I later found out none of the vaccines were 100% (more like 50%) effective. They help, but they aren't the great protectors we put our trust in.

Either one of these can effect his absorption of nutrients. Lack of nutrients causes neurological symptoms and death. They starve to death eating normally.

He needs Amprolium (Corid), a dewormer and multivitamins (especially E, B and D), afterwards (two days) he'll need probiotics.
We have dealt with Cocci multiple times this spring. He was sick with it back when he was around 4-5 weeks old. I don’t think he is exhibiting symptoms that would call for Corid treatment. I do think it’s something neurological. It could be that because he was so sick when he was younger it has affected his overall immunity and nutrient absorption, as we had a similar situation happen with another chick from the same batch. He has had poultry cell in his water on and off along with electrolytes. His overall demeanor does not suggest anything other than something underlying such as neurological given the protrusion of his eye on the right and the lameness on the same side. I appreciate your feedback though. Cocci took out quite a few of ours too when they were younger. It’s tough and based on other forums, it has been a really popular issue for most.

Update: I believe it is an underlying neurological issue causing his lameness. His right side has not improved. And his right pupil is dilated and fixed. It won’t react to light or retract in any way. It also appears his overall eye socket is slightly protruding from his face unlike the left. Not sure what is going on but we will likely have to put him down since his quality of life will not be the best. Just sucks because the fowl pox part cleared up nicely. 😞
I have never been convinced of fowl pox, but it has looked like injuries or pecks. If his pupil is blown and his eye is bulging, it may be a brain tumor or bleed. Do you have a picture of that? Very hard to know those things unless you get a necropsy after death. I believe there are 4 locations in TX for necropsies. Here is a link:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests/necropsy-poultry-hatchery/

I have never been convinced of fowl pox, but it has looked like injuries or pecks. If his pupil is blown and his eye is bulging, it may be a brain tumor or bleed. Do you have a picture of that? Very hard to know those things unless you get a necropsy after death. I believe there are 4 locations in TX for necropsies. Here is a link:
I will get a picture tomorrow. I am thinking tumor since it seemed to rapidly develop. I am certain the lesions he initially had were fowl pox, and he has healed up nicely compared to what he looked like 3-4 weeks ago. I thought the lameness was an injury but it hasn’t improved. The eye situation I just began to notice this week as his balance and coordination hasn’t improved. We are in VA and there’s a few local places, haven’t had to do that yet. My gut is saying something underlying vs injury, unfortunately. I am not concerned for anything else at the moment since his droppings, eating and drinking are unchanged.

Here are some pictures of him. Tried to get one to see how he is standing, unable to put any weight on the right side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg