Is this fowl pox?

Still look pretty much like injuries to me.
@Mason Farm and Ranch @Wyorp Rock @TX Chick Noob

Since this was recently discussed thread, I figured I’d add to it. I am trying to figure out if we are dealing with fowl pox or a pecking injury. I have a hard time believing it’s fowl pox, but it would be our first encounter. Started putting neosporin on it last night as it was not healing on its own. Been like this for about a week or so. No other issues. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful! Based on what the OP had going on, I wanted to compare.

Attachments

• IMG_5700.png
    IMG_5700.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5699.png
    IMG_5699.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
@Mason Farm and Ranch @Wyorp Rock @TX Chick Noob

Since this was recently discussed thread, I figured I’d add to it. I am trying to figure out if we are dealing with fowl pox or a pecking injury. I have a hard time believing it’s fowl pox, but it would be our first encounter. Started putting neosporin on it last night as it was not healing on its own. Been like this for about a week or so. No other issues. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful! Based on what the OP had going on, I wanted to compare.
Yep, that's fowl pox. There are several lesions starting up behind the big one.

There's not a lot to be done other than quarantine the bird. It has a low mortality rate, but it can get very unattractive. It will heal up in a few weeks and you bird will be back to normal.

I myself did apply Lidocaine lotion on one bird who had it really bad. But in hot weather, putting oily ointments on the comb reduces the ability to shed heat, so don't do it.

Yep, that's fowl pox. There are several lesions starting up behind the big one.

There's not a lot to be done other than quarantine the bird. It has a low mortality rate, but it can get very unattractive. It will heal up in a few weeks and you bird will be back to normal.

I myself did apply Lidocaine lotion on one bird who had it really bad. But in hot weather, putting oily ointments on the comb reduces the ability to shed heat, so don't do it.
Ugh, what a bummer. There’s 2 others with him currently that we haven’t separated. Guess I’ll have to do that today. And thank you for the advice. That makes sense so I’ll hold off on fussing over it too much. Is it best to offer supportive care like poultry cell to keep his immune system strong? My guess is it’s from flies or mosquitos.. they have been horrible this summer. And we have had so much rain.

Ugh, what a bummer. There’s 2 others with him currently that we haven’t separated. Guess I’ll have to do that today. And thank you for the advice. That makes sense so I’ll hold off on fussing over it too much. Is it best to offer supportive care like poultry cell to keep his immune system strong? My guess is it’s from flies or mosquitos.. they have been horrible this summer. And we have had so much rain

Ugh, what a bummer. There’s 2 others with him currently that we haven’t separated. Guess I’ll have to do that today. And thank you for the advice. That makes sense so I’ll hold off on fussing over it too much. Is it best to offer supportive care like poultry cell to keep his immune system strong? My guess is it’s from flies or mosquitos.. they have been horrible this summer. And we have had so much rain.
On the upside, once they get it, they are immune. They shouldn't get it again.

On the upside, once they get it, they are immune. They shouldn't get it again.
Well that’s a plus! This guy is also limping so I’m not sure if he hurt himself or what else is happening. He’s on crate rest until further notice. More lesions have popped up so he’s looking rough. Hoping after this week it’ll start to get better.

You check the bottom of his feet?
Yes I did. I didn’t see anything abnormal. I was worried at first it would be bumble foot or something on top of fowl pox. He’s sticking his one leg out and kind of hopping around. I didn’t feel anything protruding that would indicate a broke bone. He lets me pick him up. He is able to stand.

Yes I did. I didn’t see anything abnormal. I was worried at first it would be bumble foot or something on top of fowl pox. He’s sticking his one leg out and kind of hopping around. I didn’t feel anything protruding that would indicate a broke bone. He lets me pick him up. He is able to stand.
He doing anything off with his head?

While Marek's is a possibility as it can be triggered by stress of another illness, it could also be from something as simple as a really hard peck to the chest.

Feel his leg and foot for a hot spot to find any possible fractures or sprains.

Back
Top Bottom