1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this frostbite? Or something else? Help pls!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KrisLW, Jan 27, 2013.

1. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I've noticed some peeling of the wattles of my roosters. One has peeling and the other seems to have scabs on its wattles. We have had some cold weather below freezing at night but I did put some petroleum jelly over their combs and wattles. So not sure what this is?

Anyone knows?

Thanks for your help.

KrisLW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KrisLW

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Anyone??

3. sneal79

sneal79 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I have noticed spots like this on my roosters waddle as well. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is...hopefully, you can get an answer real soon!

4. KrisLW

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Thanks sneal79. I have no idea what this is.

Hopefully someone does!!

Kris

5. woodsman23

woodsman23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    its frostbite for sure mine has it also.

6. KrisLW

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Thanks I'm not really sure if its definitely frostbite. It looks like the skin on his wattles is actually peeling away, Is this an infection???? I didn't think that frostbite manifests in that manner.

Should I be worried???

7. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Yes, I believe this is frostbite. I have about 34 chickens in the coop and my Buf Orpington rooster got frostbite on half or more of his comb and part of his wattles, one of my Australorps got frostbite on part of the digits of both her feet (so sad) and maybe one small spot on another rooster comb. I don't know why this happened to those chickens and none of the others show any signs. They must have been sleeping somewhere that cold air was coming in. We did have some subzero temps a week or two ago for a couple of days, but for the most part, the coop is pretty comfortable. It's heartbreaking to see the hen with the frostbitten toes. She's already lost part of one toe and there will be about two or three others falling off soon. :-( Lucky for you that's such a small part of your rooster's wattle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by