Is this frostbite? Or something else? Help pls!

KrisLW

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've noticed some peeling of the wattles of my roosters. One has peeling and the other seems to have scabs on its wattles. We have had some cold weather below freezing at night but I did put some petroleum jelly over their combs and wattles. So not sure what this is?

Anyone knows?

Thanks for your help.

KrisLW

I have noticed spots like this on my roosters waddle as well. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is...hopefully, you can get an answer real soon!

Thanks I'm not really sure if its definitely frostbite. It looks like the skin on his wattles is actually peeling away, Is this an infection???? I didn't think that frostbite manifests in that manner.

Should I be worried???

Yes, I believe this is frostbite. I have about 34 chickens in the coop and my Buf Orpington rooster got frostbite on half or more of his comb and part of his wattles, one of my Australorps got frostbite on part of the digits of both her feet (so sad) and maybe one small spot on another rooster comb. I don't know why this happened to those chickens and none of the others show any signs. They must have been sleeping somewhere that cold air was coming in. We did have some subzero temps a week or two ago for a couple of days, but for the most part, the coop is pretty comfortable. It's heartbreaking to see the hen with the frostbitten toes. She's already lost part of one toe and there will be about two or three others falling off soon. :-( Lucky for you that's such a small part of your rooster's wattle.

Back
Top Bottom