Is this goose a giant Canada goose?

Jun 29, 2018
at this other lake I go to I noticed this gander has a white ring around his neck and I read that that means they could be a giant Canada goose? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 526D97B8-5ACD-4AB4-8B2A-E595AD2621C1.jpeg
    526D97B8-5ACD-4AB4-8B2A-E595AD2621C1.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 56
I'd say it's a Canada goose. My friend has two that look identical. There lovely birds. Really quite friendly too!

So u don’t think he’s a giant Canada goose? I never seen one with the white around the neck.. it says online that usually the giant Canada goose has that, and I agree they are lovely birds!
Your friend has Canada geese as pets? She’s very lucky

So u don’t think he’s a giant Canada goose? I never seen one with the white around the neck.. it says online that usually the giant Canada goose has that, and I agree they are lovely birds!
Your friend has Canada geese as pets? She’s very lucky
One had a broken led and she got it to the vet. It's now got a steel plate in its leg. It is so friendly. You can stroke it and it eats from your hand! I'm not really familiar with the difference in them but I just copied this.
"The giant Canada goose is often mistaken for the Moffitt's Canada goose. However, giant geese have both a lower call and a larger bill to body size ratio. Another good identifier includes the black on the neck, which starts much farther up the neck than any other subspecies. The giant goose's white cheek patch is very large, reaching the lower bill. Unlike other variants, the underbelly is very pale. A less reliable identifier is the white forehead and eyebrows, which don't always occur and Moffitt's geese less commonly have."

Back
Top Bottom