Is this Goose too Thin?

Thanks so much! I would think I should do the whole flock then with the wormer, but since none of the others are showing signs of bacterial infection, I would only treat Goose with antibiotics?

If the others look fine and have normal looking poop, they do not need antibiotics. Regarding worming, mabye you could collect a bunch of poop samples from as many as possible, place in plastic bag, mix well and have the vet check or worm eggs and coccidia. Or you could just worm all of them. :D

-Kathy

If the others look fine and have normal looking poop, they do not need antibiotics. Regarding worming, mabye you could collect a bunch of poop samples from as many as possible, place in plastic bag, mix well and have the vet check or worm eggs and coccidia. Or you could just worm all of them.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Good thing the wall is high, or the neighbours would probably think I've finally lost it
big_smile.png
I'll worm the lot and save on the cost of the faecals! Thanks a million
hugs.gif

Baytril didn't have much of an effect, so Goose is on a course of metronidazole 200mg x 2 daily as Kathy suggested.
No deworming until course is completed.
Faecal exam was negative for infection and worms, but I've been told to collect more poop for another test $$$$$$ and if metronidazole doesn't work she must go for x-rays $$$$$$$!!!!!

Prayers that the antibiotic does the trick please!

It's been my personal experience that it can take 2-3 days to see results using baytril.

-Kathy
Goose has had x1 baytril shot, x3 Metronidazole tabs and x2 baytril tabs. Surely I should be seeing an improvement in her appetite and / or her poop? I'm really worried about her, she is incredibly thin, but seems to be putting on brave face. She's preening and drinking and moves around (tried to drown the duck today), but still just nibbling and not grazing. Does this indicate an obstruction?

I think you need to tube feed her.

-Kathy

What if there is an obstruction in her intestine, won't it burst if I force food into her?
I am on my own, will it be possible to force feed a goose single handed? I recently had my two Cornish Rock girls (small goose size and feisty) euthanased because I couldn't manage the surgery and wound management of their bumblefoot. Did the surgery on the first removed the plug, dressed the wound, but then saw she had on the other foot too. Didn't have the heart to put her through another surgery. The other one was the same.

Last edited:
Tubing is contraindicated if there is an obstruction, but I don't think there is another option. Call you vet and talk to him about false negative fecals.

-Kathy
Say its a yest infection, what symptoms am I looking for? Could I try apple cider vinegar, or would this just feed bacteria - if it is actually a bacterial infection? I'm so worried for her.
I don't know how old she is. Maybe its old age and one of her organs has packed up, or maybe its a tumour. what should I look for?

Back
Top Bottom