Is this gram scale worth its money?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster brandon., Nov 7, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
  2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    What are you plan to use for? If for chicken, I would refer getting something more than 10lbs or more.

Note: 1000 Grams = 2.20462262 Pounds

3. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    it would mainly used for seramas to determine if the seramas are a #a,b or c class.......

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Speedy,
    Seramas are tiny. They are the smallest breed of bantam (I think). They only weigh about a pound or a bit more, from what I've gathered here.

If I ever have chickens again, it'll be Seramas (and maybe a few Silkies...)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Yeach, they are so small, but they are ok.

6. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    IMHO, at $6, it's "too cheap" - as in I would not expect it to last or to be accurate.

Amazon, for example, has a very large collection of various digital scales used for food, which would give you a good sense of prices and features that are good and bad, and what can go wrong with one. And, you can use a scale for both by using a box for the birds or wrapping it in plastic bags first. Mine cost about $20, is accurate to about a gram, and will weigh up to about 10 lbs.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I bought mine at kitchen collection. it cost around 10 to 15 dollars and it weighes up to 10 lbs of course I use mine for cooking instead but it is the same principle. It is one of my favorite kitchen tools next to my kitchenaid and digital thermometer.

The first one I bought was from walmart and it was terrible but it was not the digital kind that i bought there. It was not even remotely accurate. They do carry the digital scales too in the cooking section. Lots of soap making websites sell digital scales too. I agree that it looks to be too cheap to be true for online.

You can place a small box or large bowl on the scale and zero the weight out and then place the bird in the box and get a really accurate weight this is how i weigh out my flour for my bread.

8. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think that is use for small items like my coin scale. It would be tough to get your chicken to stand still on such of a small surface without moving.

9. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I purchased a inexpensive one off of ebay to weigh my eggs (to moniter weight loss/adjust humidity). It works fine for what I use for. I guess it just depends on how accurate a reading you are looking for.

10. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    that scale would be fine..... if you where selling illegal drugs [​IMG]

but no really for weighing anything birds or what have you i find my old tin postage scale (5 pounder) analog works great + it was free

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by