Is this hanging feeder too high?

CandiceN

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
NH
I decided to hang the feeder now that we're doing deep litter, so I put a couple heavy duty screws in the ceiling beams of the coop and used welded wire (similar to hardware cloth wire) and carabiners to hang it. It looks like it's about neck height, but the girls seem to be able to get into it easily. Does this look alright? It was higher but I lowered it to here. I can replace the wire w/chain if necessary - I just worked with what I had! Is it safe like this?

Thanks!

(I had 2 hens in the nesting boxes. They were not impressed that I was in their way, lol
big_smile.png
)

IMG_20110829_104145.jpg

IMG_20110829_104150.jpg

IMG_20110829_104237.jpg

UPDATED: I lowered it a bit, they went crazy eating as soon as I walked away, so I guess they approve! I am going to replace the wire with chain though. I was fixing it and the wire just slid off the carabiner, dropping the food bin on my foot. I have it nice and tight for now, but I'm guessing it will loosen with the swinging and I don't want them getting hurt. Chain is cheap, I don't mind
smile.png

IMG_20110830_165052.jpg

IMG_20110830_165032.jpg

IMG_20110830_165027.jpg

Last edited:
Should be fine and they can not scatter it that way, sometimes it is funny to see them scratch their feet while trying to dig in the food with their beak at a hanging feeder
big_smile.png

I was thinking it looked a bit high, like she could barely get her neck over the rim. I'll go out later and lower it a few inches.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom