Is this her crop? Why is it so big?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    See how big My Khaki's chest is....this is her crop, right? Why is it so big??

[​IMG]

And.....you may remember telling you about her.....she had been attacked by a dog when I got her....he told me it happened less than a week before I got her, and when I took her to be looked at, the gal told me the injury was AT LEAST three weeks old....her bone had already fused. He also told me she had no open wounds or was bleeding....you should have seen the size of her scrabs on top and under her wing. He said a chihuahua did it.....no way that small of a dog could have gotten its jaws around her wing and left that kind of injury. Anyway...when they weighed her she was a pound and a half....look at how good she is doing. It took her over a month to start eating and swimming. I was so excited when she started perking up...and when she ate....I was soooo happy. I really like her....her and the Buff next to her are the two I got at the same time from our county fair. They are good girls....and I get two eggs a day almost every single day.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't have a good answer for that. But once Sieben seemed to have a large, droopy front end. I was alarmed since she'd also been feeling a little puny and I took her to the vet. Of course, by the time we went the next day, her crop looked fine.

Did it just seem to enlarge like that? Could it be something as simple as she just porked out on a bunch of something, and swallowed quite a bit of water afterward?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats how it looks like she may have swallowed a bunch of water, check her out in the morning ansd see how she looks. And she looks great for being so tramatized when you got her. Both are very pretty girls. I have a brahma hen who looks just like that all the time, she is so huge in the I say bosom, because that is what it makes me think of. I have had her for over a year she is 2 now and she has always looked this way. Hopefully your girls will deflate by morning. [​IMG]

4. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have seen a few of my ducks look like this....I have always thought that they were storing food, but I never knew. Wasn't even sure if this was what a crop is. I am sure she is fine, I just had the perfect opportunity to snap a picture. My Cayugas all looked like this for a short while.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the replies.

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    mine have nice sleek underline-to-neck lines when they're hungry, and look baggy and pooched out somewhat like this right after they pig out on feed. just watch her, if it varies throughout the day, sometimes smaller, sometimes larger, it may just be that it looks large when full because she hasn't built up much underside weight yet. she may just have found something tasty and eatten a lot of it.

I noticed the post-feeding crop expansion is much more noticible on my runners than my heavy ducks because they're a lighter bodied thinner duck to start with.

watching to see if anyone else chimes in with more ideas here.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by