1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this indication of dead chick in the egg ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosiethechicken, Jun 28, 2011.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Ok. Lot of stress in last 6 weeks.

Of the two eggs I took away from broody on 19th day, one hatched under the lamp and there is no movement in the other.
    I just candled it, there is large aircell and dark space filling almost everything in the egg. Exception, water/liquid seem to be floating
    right below the aircell. I can see it changing shape of aircell slightly when I tilt the egg slowly. There is no smell.

Is this indication of a dead chick in the egg ? Should I continue to keep the egg under lamp with humidity ?

2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i just pulled 2 eggs from under a broody that were just like this, so yes i would say they are dead, sorry!

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds like it is dead to me [​IMG]

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yeah, unfortunately, I have found the ones that go "gooey" that late in the game are dead, idk why they get liquidy after they die like that. [​IMG] sorry!

5. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks everyone. After making sure I can see the liquid, I cracked open the egg and sure the chick was long dead.
    It died even before all organs came together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by