Is this lice?

lakones

Songster
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Zachary, LA
I have a hen I've been treating for vent gleet, but I'm not sure that's it. Or maybe she has more than one thing going on. She is the only one I have with a dirty bottom and it smells a lot like a yeast infection. Here's a few pics.

This pic is after a bath...

Sorry for the yucky pic. I just want to get her well. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the link. I've been following the advice from a post here on BYC, but it is basically the same. She eats, drinks, walks, plays with the dog...just got the nasty bottom.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. She has been isolated for over a week now and I have and/or am doing acv water, fresh garlic, yogurt, wheat germ, baths, Epsom salt orally, spray for lice/mites, blue coat spray around the vent, and even tried worming her on a local chicken keepers advice. She'll seem to clear up for a day, but then it's back again. Arggggg......
She acts fine, eats, drinks, poops, scratches, dust bathes...but still has some runny stuff from the vent and smells yuck!
When I mentioned taking her to the vet I got a crossways look from hubby. Any other advise out there?

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. She has been isolated for over a week now and I have and/or am doing acv water, fresh garlic, yogurt, wheat germ, baths, Epsom salt orally, spray for lice/mites, blue coat spray around the vent, and even tried worming her on a local chicken keepers advice. She'll seem to clear up for a day, but then it's back again. Arggggg......
She acts fine, eats, drinks, poops, scratches, dust bathes...but still has some runny stuff from the vent and smells yuck!
When I mentioned taking her to the vet I got a crossways look from hubby. Any other advise out there?

You won't help the intestinal tract giving all those things at once, stress the bird, and only make it worse. Put Probios dispersible powder in waterers 2-3 days a week (1 tsp per gallon). The other 3-4 days put an electrolyte supplement like Dawelite (.25 tsp per gallon) for that week. I have cleared up yeast infections (vent gleet) by injecting Miconazole cream with the suppository tubes that come with it (this is the same generic cream used for vaginal yeast infections). Use a tube about 1/3 full on a large hen. Clean the vent area with baby wipes, then gently insert the tube in the vent about an inch and inject it up the vent. You know it was inserted properly if none comes out when removing the tube. Keep the vent clean daily with baby wipes to avoid sores and inflammation. The best time to perform this is at night with a head lamp so both hands are free.

You may need to do this daily if the condition is bad, or 3 days a week if you keep a good watch on it. It should clear up in a week or two. Once it clears up, don't feed the hen anything but a good quality layer ration with a fresh milling date, and keep ACV out of the water.

When you dewormed your hen, what did you use as a dewormer?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom