Is this Marek’s?

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone! I have a 5 year old flock of 7 chicken ladies in one coop and a flock of 15 pullets in a separate coop. They have always been super healthy, no issues at all. I visited a friend’s farm 6 days ago. She has two chickens that she said are Marek’s carriers. Not knowing how contagious this virus is, I took my dog there to be groomed and I walked around her property to see her herd of goats. Now I have a chicken that has runny diarrhea and is very lethargic and not herself.
I am terribly afraid she has Marek’s. The rest of the flock seems fine. I don’t know if these birds were vaccinated.

How likely is it that I carried this virus home with me?
Does this sound like Marek’s?
If this is Marek’s how devastating will it be to the rest of my flock? I am so upset at this possibility.

When you got home from your friends did u change your clothes and especially shoes? Whenever I went near any other birds I sprayed my shOEs down with hose ( crocks or barn boots for easy cleaning).

Mareks symptoms cannot possibly show up in less than 3 weeks after exposure to a carrier, so the symptoms are not Mareks. But since Mareks is carried in the dander and feathers of carriers, I would watch closely in the future. I would look for other reasons for her lethargy and diarrhea, such as dehydration during warm weather or other causes, such as reproductive infection or coccidiosis. What is her age?

Thank you so much! I just love this community! I have learned so much over the years from these message boards.

I read that it has a three week incubation period but I wondered if there were exceptions to that.

She is 5 years old and outwardly looks beautiful and was acting fine until yesterday when she started having diarrhea, lethargy and I dare say she seems confused or something. All the ladies went in and she is the head honcho so she is usually first for everything and she couldn’t find her way back to the coop, so I picked her up.

I have Corid on hand so I will start her on that.

When you got home from your friends did u change your clothes and especially shoes? Whenever I went near any other birds I sprayed my shOEs down with hose ( crocks or barn boots for
When you got home from your friends did u change your clothes and especially shoes? Whenever I went near any other birds I sprayed my shOEs down with hose ( crocks or barn boots for easy cleaning).

Unfortunately, I didn’t because I am an absolute idiot! She only has two old chickens that free range so I wasn’t very worried about it. I have had chickens for 5 years and I live in the woods and I don’t do to shows so Mareks wasn’t on my radar at all.

Last edited:
At 5 years, I would supect that she might be not laying and could be showing signs of one of the common reproductive problems, such as internal laying/salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, or ascites. Make sure that her crop is emptying overnight, since crop issues may also cause diarrhea.

I am not sure if she is still laying. I haven’t actually caught her in a nesting box in a while, now that you mention it. But, I am still getting 4-5 eggs a day out of this 5 year old flock of 7 hens. I have moved her inside and I added electrolytes and probiotics in her water and an oatmeal mash. She is still eating and drinking so far. She liked the oatmeal. Is there anything else I should do?

After doing a little research, I am thinking you hit the nail on the head with Egg Yolk Peritonitis. There is definitely yellow in her diarrhea. This is not the best news for my hen but at least I am very confident this isn’t Marek’s now. Thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom