Is this moldy hay

Hi Hun,

As per my learned friends I agree it looks like straw.

It also looks like it has lice - the weeny white huddles on picture 1. My understanding of mould is that it tends to grown outwards very thickly rather than in random thin patches 🤷‍♀️ Bad explanation hope you understand.
Of course, if it is mould the answer is the same, don’t use it, in fact I recommend my general rule;

if in doubt, throw it out 😝

So, I recommend burning and getting from another supplier who has a regular turnover.

Hugz

Last edited:
Personally I would still use the the better parts of the bale where you need it..
I wouldn’t do this. Mold grows throughout the substance before “blooming” at maturity. Until then it’s invisible to the naked eye and we don’t know how much the mold has actually grown throughout the hay before releasing buds! I just trash my moldy hay but if you’re having trouble with mold you might want to check how you’re storing it.
if in doubt, throw it out 😝

Anyways whether or not it’s mold or lice if it looks weird just burn it or throw it out! No need to risk your chickens getting exposed to something to save a little money rather than using it and ending up spending money on vet bills

A lot might depend on your set up- if you have a tiny coop, and 2-3 chickens you should probably be more picky as to the tight space.

If you have a more traditional shed and run, I would use all of it, and not throw any of it away. I always use waste hay for my coop/run. We ranch, and the waste hay is just hay that was spilled and trampled by other livestock. It has always worked just fine for me. But I DO have a large set up with a lot of air flow.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom